Binghamton at a Glance
People around the world are learning what New Yorkers have known for decades: Binghamton University is one of America's premier public universities. We attract outstanding students and award-winning faculty who are partners in active discovery — we don't collect knowledge, we create it.
Learn more about what makes the Binghamton University experience so exceptional.
- The University consists of seven schools: Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Community and Public Affairs, the Decker School of Nursing, the Graduate School of Education, the School of Management, the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science and the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- The Fiske Guide to Colleges (2014) recognizes Binghamton as a "best buy" and one of the "premier public universities in the Northeast."
- Binghamton's School of Management is #14 on Fortune's list of the "25 Best Colleges for Earning a Degree" (2015).
- Our faculty includes numerous Fulbright, Ford and Guggenheim scholars.
- Buffalo Business First ranked Binghamton #20 in the United States, calling the University the “Smartest SUNY” and ranking it as the best public college in New York — this is not just a best-value ranking, it’s “best overall.”
- U.S. News and World Report (2016) says Binghamton University is "one of the nation's top 40 public universities."
Gorgeous Campus and Community
- The campus is spread across 930 acres on a wooded hillside above the Susquehanna River in the Binghamton suburb of Vestal.
- The University consistently receives recognition in The Princeton Review's annual "green rating" of colleges.
- The on-campus Nature Preserve boasts 190 acres of protected forest and wetlands with hiking/biking/running trails and a six-acre pond.
- Downtown Binghamton offers a world-class opera company, a symphony orchestra, movie theaters, clubs, incredible restaurants, bars and professional hockey and baseball teams.
Innovative Learning Facilities
- The Innovative Technologies Complex (ITC) is home to the:
- Bioengineering Building: features state-of-the-art, modular laboratories and clinical research space, as well as a start-up suite for new companies
- Engineering and Science Building: home to the Watson School dean's office and the departments of mechanical engineering and electrical/computer engineering, along with state-of-the-art laboratory space, suites for business start-ups and offices
- Smart Energy Facility (under construction): will house Harpur College's chemistry and physics departments, with a focus on alternative-energy production
- The sprawling, five-building science complex features a multi-climate greenhouse —one of the largest teaching and research facilities of its kind, it is divided into tropical, temperate, alpine and desert zones.
- The spacious Anderson Center for the Performing Arts showcases a "transforming," 1,200-seat theater with a retractable rear wall for lawn seating and is celebrating its 25th anniversary season.
- The University Art Museum's permanent collection includes over 3,000 modern and ancient pieces, including a nationally recognized Asian Art Gallery.
Home Away from Home
- Modeled after Oxford University, our students live in six residential communities, each with its own distinct personality and neighborhood feel. Each residential community includes a learning community offering classes and experiences designed for that community to foster interaction and learning within a smaller group.
- Each residential community has its own dining hall that features its own unique food specialties.
- Off Campus College Transport (OCCT), Binghamton's student-run bus service, operates around the Binghamton University community and recently added campus shuttles. Students, faculty and staff may use OCCT for free (just show your campus ID card).
- BC Transit is a local public transportation provider that has a contractual agreement with Binghamton University. Students, faculty and staff may ride BC Transit for free with a Binghamton University ID.
- The MarketPlace, our newest and largest eating area boasts 10 different selections, from Italian to Chick-N-Bap, a Korean-inspired, alumni-run company.
- The Undergrounds Coffee House and Music Venue, bowling, billiards, video games, table tennis, Munchies/Take One Video — you'll find all these in our University Union!
Active, Athletic Community
- The Binghamton Bearcats field 21 NCAA Division I varsity teams.
- Students choose from dozens of competitive and just-for-fun club and intramural sports teams, from soccer to coed dodgeball.
- FitSpace is our state-of-the-art fitness center with in-house personal trainers and 45 group classes each week.
- Our awesome Outdoor Pursuits program organizes day and weekend kayaking, climbing, hiking and camping trips to the region's many state parks.
- Our newly completed disc golf course stretches around the east side of campus and runs next to our high-flying ropes course.
- Our four-year graduation rate is among the highest in the nation among our peer public research universities.
- 20% of undergrads go on to receive a graduate degree from Binghamton.
- Binghamton has more than 30 doctoral programs in arts and sciences and its professional schools, and awards more than 100 doctorates every year.
- 84% of Binghamton grads who apply to law school are accepted, compared with 78% nationally.
- Our grads get into medical school at rates that are 14% above the national average.
- There are more than 124,000 Binghamton alumni spread across all 50 states and around the world.