During the event
- Bring the recruiting materials you have received in the mail with you (unless assisting counselor)
- Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the fair and stay for the entire program
- Make sure to check in at the registration table
- Dress to best represent Binghamton; Binghamton gear or business comfortable
- Recruitment is restricted to booth/table space
- Encourage all students to complete and return the inquiry cards -- we use the information to follow up with each and every student
After the event
Place the completed inquiry cards in the postage-paid envelope within three days of completed event and send to: Binghamton University, Undergraduate Admissions Office, PO Box 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001.
If you cannot make your event, call Joe at 607-777-4314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to make sure we have adequate time to find a replacement volunteer.
Key ways and messages to share
- "Binghamton University" on first reference, then "Binghamton"
- Refrain from saying SUNY Binghamton, SUNY-B, Harpur College or Bing.
- Focus your discussions on personal and professional stories, i.e., favorite class/professor, dorm life, etc.
- It's OK to say, "I don't know the answer to that question." Refer prospective students to the admissions website, or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Encourage students to visit campus. We do tours and presentations throughout the year.
- Be positive, diplomatic and show your enthusiasm for Binghamton. Don't say anything negative about other universities. This is a key guideline outlined in "Principals of Good Practice" from the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC).
- Binghamton's core messages you should share with families in your own way are:
Academic excellence: Binghamton University is a top-U.S. public university. With more than 130 undergraduate academic programs, our academics are as diverse as our student body. Binghamton is a dynamic leader in higher education, driven to set the standards of academic excellence for public universities in the U.S.
National reputation: Binghamton continues to garner national distinction by the top college guide books, magazines and research institutes.
Value: As one of the nation's best public universities, Binghamton provides students with an excellent education and – because it's public – a price that says tremendous value.
Admissions Alumni Volunteer Training
This is your virtual classroom and a crash course in all of the latest information about Binghamton University. Rather than have you comb through a thick handbook, we've organized information for you online that you may access any time you need specifics or a simple refresher.
- Binghamton college fair recruitment brochure
- Fact sheet for New York state
- Fact sheet for out of state
- Freshmen Research Immersion (FRI) program
- How to apply to Binghamton
- Transfer recruitment piece
- Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) for New York state students
- Jewish student brochure
- Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development