Welcome New Students


Activate your Binghamton University Computer Account

Your Binghamton University Computer Account is used to access all online resources on campus: housing request form, Blackboard, public computers on campus, Internet connection, Medicat (health forms), Internet connection, BU BRAIN Self-Service etc. To access your computer account :

1. Go to https://password.binghamton.edu.
2. Click on the blue "Activate Password" box.
3. Enter your user ID and the-email address you supplied on your admissions application.
4. An initial password that will be sent to that e-mail address.
5. Return to the password home page at https://password.binghamton.edu.
6. Click on the green "Manage Account Profile" box.
7. Enter your user ID and the initial password you received via email.
8. You will be prompted to accept the Binghamton University Computer and Network Usage Policy.
9. Create a new password and create two security questions and answers.

Know Your B-Number

The B-Number is the primary identification number for students. Your B-Number was sent to you upon receipt of your admissions application to Binghamton. Forgot your B-Number? Log into the Binghamton portal, my.binghamton.edu , click on the BU BRAIN icon in the top left-hand corner, the select the "Home" tab and click on "What's My B-Number?".

Email Account

If you haven't already done so, activate your Binghamton University e-mail (BMail) account today. Complete details were contained in a letter you received upon receipt of your enrollment deposit and may also be found here.

Your BMail is where we send all official university information, including orientation and housing details, required health forms, semester bill, financial aid and more!  

Student ID

You must upload a photo for your Binghamton University student ID in order to be able to pick it up at Orientation check in. Your student ID serves are both your room/building key and your meal plan. You must bring a government-issued photo ID in order to receive your card (i.e, passport, driver's license). You will not be given your student ID without this documentation. 


Transfer student housing

  • Plan on living on campus for convenience to classes and services while you enjoy connecting to all Binghamton has to offer!
  • Online housing registration is open now! > 
  • Explore the different room styles (doubles, singles, suites, on-campus apartment) and community attributes.
  • Your exact assignment to a residential community will then be emailed in January along with information about check in.
  • Microwave/refrigerator rentals are available for pre-order. If you order at least 10 days prior to arrival on campus, it will be delivered to your room before you move in. To order, call 1-800-525-7307.
  • For information on available off-campus housing options, visit the Off Campus College office (OCC). The Binghamton area offers a wide range of housing options and free bus service to campus.

Orientation Registration

Orientation for domestic transfer students takes place on Thursday, Jan. 12 and Friday, Jan. 13.

Orientation for international students takes place on the following days:

  • ALL international students: International Student Orientation for ALL international students is Wednesday, Jan. 11. 
  • International transfers: A University-wide orientation will be held on Thursday, Jan. 12.
  • International freshmen: A University-wide orientation will be held on Monday, Jan. 16. 

At Orientation you will:

* Register for courses
* Obtain academic and pre-professional advising from faculty and professional advisors
* Meet in small groups with student Orientation Advisors
* Get your Binghamton University Student I.D.
* Attend social events to meet other new students
* Learn about student services on campus, including health services, campus safety, academic support and many more!
* Become familiar with the campus - The Union, academic buildings and more!

Find out what you need to do to prepare for Orientation >>

International Student Services

Visit the Office of International Students and Scholars Services for detailed information about:

  • Travel and Visa information
  • Express mail service
  • English as a Second Language (ESL)
  • Housing
  • International student organizations
  • Friendship Family Program
  • Information for new students
  • Billing 

Transfer Students: Final Transcripts Required

  • Mail an official college transcript after you receive your fall grades to: Binghamton University Office of Undergraduate Admissions, PO Box 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001.
  • Mail an official, final high school transcript, including graduation date and seal or signature to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
  • Find course- to-course equivalency information and transfer guides here.

It's very important Binghamton receives your final high transcripts as soon as possible because if we don't it will prevent you from registering for future semester courses and financial aid disbursement.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit -- Send Scores

  • AP credit -- Please bring your student copy of your AP scores with you to Orientation. To receive proper credit for any AP courses taken, contact the College Board (888-225-5427) to confirm your scores will be sent electronically to the Admissions Office. Test scores of 3, 4, or 5 may receive credit based on the policy established by the State University of New York. Read more about Binghamton's AP credit guidelines.
  • IB credit -- Credit is awarded only for Higher Level IB exams, with scores of 4 or 5 receiving 4 credits, and scores of 6 or 7 receiving 8 credits. IB scores are submitted to Binghamton University through the International Baccalaureate website. Find out more about Binghamton's IB credit guidelines.

Required Health Forms

All incoming students MUST complete and submit these health forms before Orientation in order to be able to register for spring semester courses. Note: If you a domestic student, these forms were sent to your home. International students should follow the instructions on the website

Again, you won't be allowed to register for classes at Orientation until Decker Student Health Services receives these forms.

Health Insurance Requirement: Accept or Waive

Domestic Students

All students are automatically enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan (University health insurance) unless it is waived by completing the online Health Insurance Waiver by the sixth week of classes.

Information about health insurance plan benefits can be found at http://www.shs-nn.com/student-insurance-binghamton-university.asp.  

International students

International students on F-1 and J-1 will enroll in the State University of New York plan administered through the University's International Student and Scholar Services office.

Financial Aid

Check status, accept/decline loans to assure your account is properly credited. 

Pay Your Bill

Billing: Your spring 2017 e-bill notification will be sent to your BMail in early January. For more details regarding payment and due dates, visit Student Accounts.

Payment Plan: Binghamton offer an interest-free, web-based payment plan which allows you to divide your student account payments into equal installments for a specified number of months. A non-refundable enrollment fee of $40 per term is required to activate the payment plan.

Billing Information Access: Only you will have access to your bill unless you make someone an "authorized payer". So, if you'd like your parent(s) or guardian(s) to be able to pay your bill, make sure you designate them as an "authorized payer". Click here for step-by-step instructions.

Don't see the proper financial aid credit on your bill? Get details >>

Sign up for Direct Deposit for Refunds (student access only, not authorized payers)

Refund checks are printed ONLY once a week. Signing up for direct deposit allows you to have refunds automatically deposited into your bank account and get your money faster!

Step-by-step instructions on how to sign up for direct deposit >

Binghamton University Dining

When you register for housing, you will be assigned our standard meal plan. Sushi, Kosher, gluten-free, vegan, smoothies, tacos, midnight pizza - we have it all! We start serving breakfast at 7:30 a.m. and won't finish cooking until you're done eating. You can even order late night delivery service until 1 a.m! Here's more information on BU Dining and meal plans.

Looking for the ultimate in healthy eating? Check out the "Balanced Way Plate" available in all the dining halls every day at lunch and dinner. It's comprised of 50 percent vegetables and fruit, 25 percent lean protein and 25 percent starch. For more information, e-mail our on-campus Registered Dietitian Alexa Schmidt at aschmidt@budining.com.

Living off campus? Check out our commuter plan.


Transfers and local students: Learn more about on-campus parking regulations, including how to purchase a parking permit

Freshmen living in university residence halls are not permitted to register or park a vehicle on campus.

Review/Verify Your Contact Information

  • Log into BU BRAIN Self Service, "Information" tab
  • Verify your contact information (address and emergency contacts)
  • Make sure we have your Social Security Number on file (required for tax and financial aid information)

Emergency Alert Contact Information (NY-Alert/RAVE) 

  • B-Alert allows you to get emergency alerts from the University via text message. If you want to receive text notifications, you will need to log in to enter or verify your cell phone number and provider. Otherwise, you will be notified of emergency situations only via email. To register, go to https://www.getrave.com/login/binghamton, and sign in with your Binghamton email address.
  • Additional information may be found at https://www.binghamton.edu/registrar/students/rave.html.

Confirmation of Enrollment

You must confirm your enrollment every semester

  • The first week of classes you will be required to confirm your enrollment through the portal at my.binghamton.edu. You will receive an e-mail from Student Records (Registrar) reminding you to confirm your enrollment.
  • Confirmation of enrollment is a combination of federal, state and University requirements.
  • If confirmation of enrollment is not completed, a student's semester schedule of courses is automatically cancelled, freeing up class seats for students looking to add a course. Cancellation will occur whether or not a student's semester bill is paid.
  • Financial aid recipients must confirm enrollment to receive a refund (if applicable) and/or to have funds not only credited but applied to pay their student account balance.
  • You only need to confirm once a semester, even if you add or drop courses.

Obtain Enrollment Verification/Proof of Enrollment (if needed)

  • An insurance company, scholarship program, loan company or other third party may require a student and/or family to show proof of enrollment (also called enrollment verification).
  • Binghamton's official enrollment verification is offered through the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) one week prior to the start of each semester.
  • To access NSC, log in to BU BRAIN via the portal at my.binghamton.edu.
  • Complete details and how-to steps can be found here.

Students with Disabilities

Students who require disability-related services or accommodations MUST contact Services for Students with Disabilities as soon as possible so we can make any necessary arrangements.

Last Updated: 3/16/17