What to do when moving into a new home
Moving into a new house is a major life change. After packing and unpacking your belongings, there's still a lot of work to be done. Follow this checklist for common tasks every new homeowner should complete:
• Change the locks. The old owners have handed over the keys. But what about the extra copies they've made over the years? You'll never know who has access to your house, so arrange for a locksmith to update the locks.
• Clean the house. Deep-clean the carpets, appliances, bathrooms and details such as moldings before you fully unpack in the space.
• Forward your mail. Visit the Post Office to set up mail forwarding so you don't miss any important bills or communications.
• Update your address. Notify all relevant companies of your new address so bills, checks and other pieces of mail reach you. Start with your bank accounts, credit card companies and insurance providers. You should also update your car registration and license.
• Do a walk-through. Familiarize yourself with the house. Make sure all appliances, fixtures and fittings are in working order. Find out where your circuit breakers and water shut-off valve are, so you can switch them off if necessary.
• Sort out utilities. Contact your cable, phone, electric and gas companies to ensure that all utilities in your new home are transferred over or established as new accounts under your name.
• Implement safety processes. Post a list of emergency contact numbers where everyone can see it. Unpack items like your first aid kit and fire extinguisher, and ensure everyone in the household knows where they are.
Once you tackle this moving checklist, it's time to enjoy your new space!To learn more about Liberty Mutual auto and home insurance or to obtain a free, no-obligation quote, call 800-225-8281 or visit libertymutual.com/binghamton. Special rates are available to you as a graduate of Binghamton University!
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley St., Boston, MA 02116. Reprinted with permission from Liberty Mutual. ©2015 Liberty Mutual Insurance
B-CONNECTED with other graduates! B-connected is a secure virtual community only for Binghamton University alumni. Update your personal profile, search for alumni, and submit and read Class Notes.
SHARE YOUR EXPERTISE WITH US! The Alumni Relations office is asked to recommend alumni who are expert speakers. If you are well-versed in subjects including national security, politics, technology, career networking, environmental studies or etiquette, please contact Melinda Holicky, associate director for alumni volunteer engagement. Include your name, class year and a brief biography. Supporting material could include a c.v. or link to your website.
The Alumni Association and Uncommon Goods (David Bolotsky '85, founder) offer the opportunity to purchase banks made from mailboxes salvaged from Newing Dining Hall. This can be a great gift or keepsake of your time as a student.
SHOW YOUR PRIDE! The Binghamton University Bookstore is your one-stop shop for apparel, accessories and home decor goods.