Regional chapter spotlight
By Steve Seepersaud
It's great to see our alumni getting together all over the world! A small alumni gathering recently took place in London. Pictured are Dimitri Pashov, MBA '94, Kerry Stamp, the University's associate director for edcuation abroad, Tasha Hayes, Liz Godson '80 and Dan Janoff '81.
Pizza, hand-crafted brews and the company of other Binghamton alumni can make for a great evening! That was the case March 1, at Red Brick Brewing Company in Atlanta, as about 20 alumni turned out for a mid-week gathering. The alumni enjoyed a behind-the-scenes tour of the brewing facility and took home a souvenir pint glass.
"I moved to Atlanta two years ago, and was curious about Binghamton alumni in the city," said Josh Schaier '06, who organized the event. "We have nearly 1,000 alumni in the area, yet there hadn't been an alumni gathering in many years. We had a fantastic night at Red Brick Brewery and look forward to our next event!"
Just a few days later, alumni in the Dallas/Fort Worth region held a Saturday brunch. The Brio Tuscan Grill in Southlake provided a bright, airy setting for alumni to enjoy food and beverages, and get to know one another.
Debra Brown '75, who worked with Jason Finkelstein '95 to organize the event, said alumni in the region will partner more closely with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to recruit students from the Metroplex to Binghamton.
"The Dallas/Fort Worth area has experienced unparalleled growth and prosperity. As a result, there are hundreds of alumni in the area and the number is growing," Brown said. "This meeting successfully introduced alumni to each other for networking and social engagement."
My wife and I have been living in Texas for more than 10 years, and many of our Texan friends are so involved with their alma mater and have so much school spirit," Finkelstein said. "That's when I decided to reach out to our alumni office and try to connect with Binghamton alumni. It was great catching up with fellow New Yorkers. We hope to try it again and keep networking."
WANT TO MAKE SOME MEANINGFUL CONNECTIONS? DON'T MISS THESE UPCOMING ALUMNI EVENTS:
- Thursday, March 16 - Food, Drinks, Hoops and Alumni Gathering (Long Island): Join us for a casual alumni gathering where you'll be able to enjoy appetizers, cocktails and conversation while keeping your eye on the college basketball tournament. Register now.
- Wednesday, March 22 - 5th Anniversary Chapter Celebration (D.C. Metro): President Harvey Stenger joined us in 2012 as we launched our chapter. He returns to help celebrate five years of bringing Binghamton alumni together. Join us for this special celebration of #BingPride. Bring your ideas to help us toward another successful five years. Register now.
- Saturday, March 25 - Delta Phi Epsilon Celebrates 100 Years (Binghamton): Join the sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon as we celebrate our 100-year anniversary! The reunion features an anniversary brunch where you will have the opportunity to reconnect with fellow alumnae and meet the current, active sisters. Register now.
- Thursday, March 30 - Watson Alumni Event (Boston): This will be a great opportunity to find out the latest news about the school, our growing alumni network and ways to stay engaged. At this event you will meet our new professor and associate dean for research and graduate students, John S. Bay. Register now.
- Saturday, April 1 - Westchester Knicks Game
(Westchester County): You and your family are invited to join fellow Binghamton University alumni for a special day of fun cheering on the Westchester Knicks at their season closer. Starting at noon, enjoy the company of fellow alumni and their families with access to the all-ages V.I.P. Heineken Club. This includes all-you-can eat food and non-alcoholic beverages served by Homestyle Catering. Register now.
B-CONNECTED with other graduates! B-connected is a secure virtual community only for Binghamton University alumni. Update your personal profile, search for alumni, and submit and read Class Notes.
SHARE YOUR EXPERTISE WITH US! The Alumni Relations Office is asked to recommend alumni who are expert speakers. If you are well-versed in subjects including national security, politics, technology, career networking, environmental studies or etiquette, contact Melinda Holicky, associate director for alumni volunteer engagement. Include your name, class year and a brief biography. Supporting material could include a CV or link to your website.
SHOW YOUR PRIDE! The Binghamton University Bookstore is your one-stop shop for apparel, accessories and home decor goods.