Regional chapter spotlight
More than 40 alumni who wanted to connect with fellow Binghamton grads in the San Francisco Bay Area — as well as get a scoop on what's happening at Google — turned out for an alumni event at the company's Mountain View campus on Sept. 22. It was the chapter's largest event to date.
Jim Bankoski '91, engineering director at Google, hosted the event. In charge of Chrome Media's Compression efforts, Bankoski is the former CTO of On2 Technologies (acquired by Google in 2010) and a technical contributor to all of On2's and later Google's codecs from Tm2x through VP9, including video codecs widely used in Flash and Skype, and now WebM. In addition, he's a technical consultant for the hit HBO series Silicon Valley.
Bankoski talked about his life after Binghamton, answered questions about new and cool projects (such as Google's self-driving car) and led the group on a tour of the visitor's center and campus.
"We had six alumni at the event who work here at Google, all representing different areas of the company. I met a lot of interesting people. It makes me feel less lonely to see other Binghamton people when I'm so far from home," said Bankoski, who hails from the Albany region.
He said chapter co-leader Siejen Yin-Stevenson '01, MBA '06, approached him during a chapter planning meeting about holding an event at Google. While the name commands a lot of attention, the response to the event exceeded even his expectations.
"I was surprised at how much interest there was," Bankoski said. "I thought we'd get 15 or 20 people, which would have been fine. Then, it went up to 42."
WANT TO MAKE SOME MEANINGFUL CONNECTIONS? DON'T MISS THESE UPCOMING ALUMNI EVENTS:
- Thursday, Oct. 20 - New Chapter Launch Event (Philadelphia): Don't wait until your next trip to Binghamton to connect with other alumni! Join us for an informal evening of networking over hors d'oeuvres. There are more than 1,700 Binghamton alumni in the Philadelphia area, and this will be a great opportunity to meet some of them. register now
- Thursday, Oct. 20 - Westchester Launch Event (Metro New York): The Alumni Association now has a dedicated group of volunteers working to plan events and other activities for alumni in Westchester. The Metro New York Chapter invites you to the expansion launch event to reconnect with old friends and make new connections. register now
- Thursday, Oct. 20 - Thirsty (for Knowledge) Thursday (Greater Binghamton): Seth Spain, assistant professor in the School of Management, will speak in the Alumni Center Lounge about "The Dark Side of Personality and Managerial Careers." Spain has appeared on a number of national news outlets to discuss his research on leadership and management styles. register now
- Thursday, Oct. 27 - Alumni Law Networking Event (Metro New York): Join us for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres while building your professional and social networks. Connect with fellow law alumni as well as members of the Harpur Law Council of Binghamton University and the Metro New York Alumni Chapter. register now
- Wednesday, Nov. 2 - Chocolate and Fine Wine Tasting (Metro New York): Join New York's Chocolate Sommelier, Roxanne Browning from Exotic Chocolate Tasting, for an elegant, guided chocolate and fine wine pairing. Discover the history of chocolate, how it's made, the health benefits, and how cacao sustains the rain forest and its indigenous people. register now
B-CONNECTED with other graduates! B-connected is a secure virtual community only for Binghamton University alumni. Update your personal profile, search for alumni, and submit and read Class Notes.
SHARE YOUR EXPERTISE WITH US! The Alumni Relations Office is asked to recommend alumni who are expert speakers. If you are well-versed in subjects including national security, politics, technology, career networking, environmental studies or etiquette, contact Melinda Holicky, associate director for alumni volunteer engagement. Include your name, class year and a brief biography. Supporting material could include a CV or link to your website.
SHOW YOUR PRIDE! The Binghamton University Bookstore is your one-stop shop for apparel, accessories and home decor goods.