Spring Break Hours
The Rec Center will have modified hours for spring recess beginning Friday, April 7 when we will close at 4 p.m. Please see below for the modified schedule.
- Open 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, April 8 and 9
- Open 5:45 a.m.–7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, April 10–13
- Open 5:45 a.m.–4 p.m. Friday, April 14
- Closed Saturday and Sunday, April 15 and 16
- Re-open Monday, April 17 from 11 a.m.–11:30 p.m.
- Normal facility hours resume Tuesday, April 18
Visit our Hours of Operation for more details. Have a safe, healthy break!
Your FitSpace Insider"I wonder how busy FitSpace is?" said no GymSnap user ever.
Campus Recreation has partnered with GymSnap to give you an at-a-glance look at how busy FitSpace's cardio machines, strength-training equipment, and free weights are.
GymSnap is a free app currently available for your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch from the App Store, with support for Android devices coming soon. After downloading, you will need to create a free user account and then search Binghamton University within GymSnap to add FitSpace to the app home screen.
Wellness ServicesWe're raising awareness of all the ways you can alleviate stress in support of Stress Awareness Month. One popular way to reduce stress is massage therapy. Research indicates massage therapy can be an effective stress reliever because it helps release serotonin and dopamine (also known as the feel-good chemicals!) in your brain.
Experience the benefits of massage therapy with this month's Wellness Special: Purchase a 60- or 90-minute massage during April and receive 10 free minutes at that service. This offer cannot be combined with other discounts and expires April 30, 2017.
Practicing a relaxation exercise is another great way to decrease stress and improve your mood. Stop down to the Wellness Suite to try a 5–10 minute audio exercise. Choose from progressive muscle relaxation, mental imagery, breathing exercises and more. No appointments taken, just walk in during normal business hours. The Wellness Suite is located on the lower level of the Rec Center.
Step by step, day after day, you walk to make progress. Every day we take thousands
of steps to get where we need to go. Now we can take steps toward a healthier lifestyle
and support the American Heart Association.
Move More in April
On Friday, April 21, Campus Recreation will join the American Heart Association in getting Healthy for Good™. During the month of April, the American Heart Association is encouraging Americans to move more and commit to being physically active.
We’ll join millions of Americans as they pledge to live a healthier lifestyle and get physically active. Here’s what you can do to join in the celebration:
- Meet at noon on Friday, April 21 in front of the Admissions Center for a brief warm up with Patti Dowd. Then lace up your sneakers and hit the sidewalk for a 1.3-mile walk around the brain at your own pace.
- Visit Heart.org/MoveMore and use the American Heart Association’s free tips and tools to stay motivated on your walking program.
Gear up with
Ready to go on an adventure this spring break? We can help. Stop by the Outdoor Pursuits
rental center where you can pick up sleeping bags, pads, tents, snowshoes, backpack stoves and much more! Rental equipment is available to students, faculty and staff.
Sign out your gear by Thursday, April 6 and return it by Tuesday, April 18. Check out the equipment and price list. Prices are based on a 7-day rental, which means you get 5 days free!
The staff at the Outdoor Pursuits rental center have the resources to help you plan trips and excursions. Call (607) 777-6414 for an appointment or stop by the Outdoor Pursuits office (EG-10) for information about a specific activity or location.
Upcoming Adventures with Outdoor PursuitsMeet new people, try new things and discover new places with our upcoming outdoor adventures:
- Bicycle Repair Workshop (Outdoor Pursuits Office)
- Sunset Hike (Local trail, $5)
- High Ropes Course and Zipline Challenge (Challenge Course, $10)
- Fast Friday Zipline (Challenge Course, $5)
Earn CEUs with Power Yoga for SportsDon't miss this exclusive opportunity to train with the founder of Power Yoga for Sports, Gwen Lawrence. Gwen has worked with professional athletes from teams like the New York Giants, New York Rangers, New Yankees, New York Knicks and others.
Power Yoga for Sports is a non-certification training that will show you how to address the specific needs of athletes in regards to yoga. By the end of the training, you will walk away being able to teach your athletes how to improve longevity, reduce injury and increase power.
Power Yoga for Sports (4 Yoga Alliance, 4 NSCA)
- Sunday, May 7
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Rec Center, EG-24
- Early registration: $250 before April 7 or $300* after
- Register at the Rec Center front desk
Personal Trainer of the MonthSamantha is an ACE-certified personal trainer and PiYo LIVE group fitness instructor in Campus Recreation. We recently sat down with Samantha to learn more about her and what motivates her as a personal trainer.
What is your favorite part of being a personal trainer?
Knowing that I have helped people make positive changes in their lives in hopes that they continue to use the skills and make healthy life choices.
What is your favorite healthy snack?
Smashed avocado on whole wheat toast.
What is your fitness philosophy?
Good things come to people who work hard and are consistent, so put in your best effort every time you're in the gym and you will see results.
Interested in learning what personal training can do for you? Our personal trainers can help you identify your fitness goals and map out a plan to get there, safely and effectively. Students receive a 20% discount on all personal training services.
More this month
- Intramurals registration for the Homerun Derby opens April 18
- Fall OUT credit classes are now available — register for Disc Golf, Fly Fishing, Hiking, Backpacking, Bicycling and others
- Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Healthcare Providers Certification
- Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers & Healthcare Providers Review