January is the beginning of a full semester of activities, classes and programs!
From Monday, Jan. 4 to Wed, Jan. 20 current University faculty, staff, students and retirees can enjoy FitSpace, group fitness, and wellness activities for free!
Must have University ID card to enter the Rec Center and classes.
Find your Fit and have a healthy new year! Free activities for current faculty, staff and students.
We're here to help you achieve your fitness and wellness goals. If you're a first timer, don't worry. We will guide you through every class and workshop, providing easy-to-follow instructions, and showing modifications that match your experience level. We promise you'll come away feeling motivated, challenged and confident in your knowledge and skills — making 2016 the year for a healthy, happy you.No membership required for these programs and activities.
Wake up workout: TRX with Jenna – 7:30 - 8:15 a.m. Monday, January 11 and 18
Start your day right with TRX Total Body Toning, a fast, effective total-body workout to build a solid core and increase muscular endurance. You'll see benefits from TRX suspension training no matter your fitness level (pro athletes to seniors). Because you're utilizing your own bodyweight to perform the exercises, you can adjust your position to add or decrease your resistance and personalize your workout to your comfort level. Join us in FitSpace to learn how to properly use the TRX Suspension Trainer, and get a workout unlike any you've tried before. Come prepared to exercise with workout clothes and sneakers. Class size is limited — register at the FitSpace desk or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org up to 24 hours in advance.
For You. By You. Faculty and staff friendly fitness classes on Wednesday, January 6, 13 and 20.
Let our Campus Recreational Services professional staff lead you through an effective workout that will challenge and motive you no matter your fitness level. While a majority of the group fitness classes are taught by our certified student instructors, we have designated these classes to be taught by our seasoned professional staff. Although faculty, staff, and students are welcome at all fitness classes, these classes are specifically designed with our University faculty and staff in mind!
SPIN IN EG-22 WITH PATTI – 7 A.M.
- Interested in a low impact, heart-pumping workout that will get your day going in a fun way? The 50-minute indoor cycling class will include different workout sections from the warm up, to climbs (hills), sprints, to a well-deserved cool down stretch. Cycle at your own pace and set your own resistance level to determine how challenging your ride is. Bring a water bottle and get there a few minutes early so the instructor can help set your bike up.
INTRO TO KETTLEBELLS IN EG-106 WITH PATTI – NOON
- Kick off the New Year with Kettle Bells, a dynamic strength training workout perfect for boosting your metabolism, building lean muscle, improving your balance, increasing your endurance and strengthening your core. All in one hour! Join the group and together we'll get happy, healthy and motivated as we learn the basics of kettle bells including swings, power clean, push press, figures 8's and more.
TRX BODY BLAST IN FITSPACE WITH JENNA – 4:30 P.M.
- TRX Total Body Toning, a fast, effective total-body workout to build a solid core and increase muscular endurance. You'll see benefits from TRX suspension training no matter your fitness level (pro athletes to seniors). Because you're utilizing your own bodyweight to perform the exercises, you can adjust your position to add or decrease your resistance and personalize your workout to your comfort level. Join us in FitSpace to learn how to properly use the TRX Suspension Trainer, and get a workout unlike any you've tried before. Come prepared to exercise with workout clothes and sneakers. Class size is limited — register at the FitSpace desk or by e-mailing email@example.com up to 24 hours in advance.
Restorative Yoga and Meditation in EG-24 – Friday, January 8 and 15, at Noon
Are you new to yoga or looking for a gentler, relaxing class? You've found it! We'll blend asana postures with relaxation techniques and restorative stretching to de-stress your mind and body. Restorative yoga is about slowing down, breathing purposefully, supporting your body, and letting gravity pull you deeper into the pose. And we'll end each class with a 10-minute guided meditation. Perfect for the beginner or more experienced yogis looking to deepen their practice.
FitSpace 101: Equipment Orientation with Jenna – 8:15 a.m. Mondays and 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
It can be easy to stick with what you know. But that's not the way to get healthy and fit this spring. Get off that treadmill and get acclimated to all the equipment FitSpace has to offer including 60 new cardio stations, 20 free weight stations, a full circuit training line, and a new one-of-a-kind functional training zone. Our assistant director of fitness will walk you through all of the equipment we offer and show you how to make the most of your time in FitSpace. No membership required and no need to register. Meet at the FitSpace desk in proper athletic attire.
ONE TIME EVENTS
Fitness Tech Talk 2016 – with Jenna in EG-18 on Thursday January 7 at 4:30 p.m.
Today's fitness technology can make your routine easier, faster and more productive. These small accessories and helpful apps will track your fitness progress, help you recover from workouts quicker, analyze your nutrition, or simply make your time at the gym more fun! Our assistant director of fitness will run down the latest fitness gadgets on the market — such as the fitbit and the jawbone — as well as some of the best fitness apps to make 2016 your healthiest year yet. Whether you received a new toy over the holidays or are interested in getting something to help you stick to those resolutions, this class will show you how to implement these gadgets into your fitness routine.
Pool workout – Tuesday, January 12 at noon in the pool with Jacob
Kick off the New Year with one of the oldest and best workouts — swimming! You don't need to do laps to get a good workout in the pool. In this 50-minute class you will enjoy the benefits of strength, cardio, endurance and resistance training all at once, with zero impact. So come down and dive into the New Year the right way. This program is designed for intermediate level swimmers (not recommended for beginner or non-swimmers). Goggles are recommended but not necessary. Come dressed ready to swim. Meet on the Recreation Center pool deck.
Walk the Walk – Thursday, January 14 at noon. Meet outside the Recreation Center, East Gym
Don't let the cold force you into hibernation. It's never a bad time to get out and get moving — just check the conditions, dress for the weather and plan your route. Then you can walk safely to all your destinations and keep up your walking routine all winter long! Join the staff of Campus Recreational Services as we discuss how to properly prepare for walking during the colder months as then walk the Brain during this lunch hour session! Our campus walking program can even keep you accountable on those frigid New York days. It's easy to join — we'll tell you how! The walk will leave the Recreation Center, East Gym at 12:10 p.m.
Debunking Food Labels – Tuesday, January 19 at noon with Melanie Peranich, dietician for Binghamton University Dining Services by Sodexo – Recreation Center, EG-18
Grass fed, cage free, organic, all natural, low fat, fat free, gluten free, dairy free. It's enough to make your head spin, but it doesn't have to be overwhelming or confusing! Come find out common mistakes and misconceptions surrounding food labels and make your next trip to the grocery store a breeze.
- Closed from Dec. 23 through Sunday, Jan. 3
- Reopen Monday, Jan. 4 with intercession break hours
- Closed on Thursday, Jan. 21 for staff training.
- Reopen Friday. Jan. 22 with spring hours.
Specialty Wellness registrations are open Jan. 11
- Pink Gloves Boxing I, II, and III
- Insanity/Spring Break Shred
- Aqua Bootcamp
- Triathlon Swim Training
- The SYNRGY Experience
» Sign up in person at the Rec Center EG front desk
Intramural registrations begin Thursday, Jan. 21
- 5-on-5 Tipoff Tournament
- 5-on-5 basketball
» Details and full list of sports and registration dates
» Sign up online through IMLeagues