Final Exam Scheduling
The Faculty Senate passed a new policy regarding Final Exams. The policy can be found in the Faculty/Staff Handbook and is effective starting with the Fall 2014 semester.
- Courses are not required to offer a final exam. However all final exams and end-of-course exams must be offered during the official final examination period, at the time scheduled by the Course Building and Academic Space Management (CBASM) Office.
- Students shall not be required to take examinations or turn in take-home finals during the week preceding the final examination period.
- Students should not have to take three or more final examinations in one 24-hour period. In cases where students have more than two exams scheduled in a 24-hour period, faculty are urged to arrange a time for a make-up exam. In cases where conflict arises, the faculty member teaching the largest course will be expected to arrange a make-up exam.
- Every course, undergraduate and graduate, with the exception of independent study, internships, and practicums, will be scheduled a final exam time based upon the time the course meets during the regular semester.
- Instructors no longer need to request a final exam, except in cases of make-up exams. However, if no exam is needed, the department course builder should notify the CBASM office using the established process.
- Final exams will be scheduled from 8:00 am to 10:05 pm Monday through Thursday and
from 8:00 am to 5:15 pm on Friday of the final examination period. The time will be
based on the meeting times of the course during the regular semester. Standard exam
times are as follows:
- 8:00 am - 10:00 am
- 10:25 am – 12:25 pm
- 12:50 pm – 2:50 pm
- 3:15 pm – 5:15 pm
- 5:40 pm – 7:40 pm
- 8:05 pm – 10:05 pm
- Courses with the same rubric will be scheduled together, unless requested otherwise.
- For multiple format/linked courses (lecture and discussion, lecture and lab, etc.), the final exam will be scheduled based on the meeting pattern of the credit bearing section.
- For courses scheduled in departmental rooms, the final exam should be scheduled in the departmental room where the course meets at the time determined by the CBASM office.
- For asynchronous on-line courses, the final exam or end-of-course exam should be due on the Wednesday of the final examination week. For synchronous on-line courses, the final exam or end of course exam should be scheduled based on the meeting pattern of the course, based on the time determined by the CBASM office.
- Double seating can be requested and will be accommodated based upon availability.
- Final exams for different courses may be scheduled together at the same time/location by the CBASM office, if necessary to maximize room utilization.
- Review sessions can be scheduled during the final examination period, based on availability of rooms.
Submit a Request for a Make Up Exam
Only requests for make up exams are required. All other courses will be scheduled a final exam time.