DIRECTIONS ON APPLYING FOR THE POSITIONS LISTED BELOW: Work Study positions are available in community non-profit organizations. To apply for a work study position, send us an email with the position you are applying for as the subject and your cover letter and resume as attachments: email@example.com. You can apply for as many positions as you like, but a cover letter, resume and separate email are required for every position you apply for. Your application will not be considered unless all of these components are included (e.g. name of position as email subject, cover letter addressed to the correct individual, an updated resume).
Community Service Work-Study Positions:
George F Johnson Memorial Library Public Computing Center
1001 Park Street, Endicott, NY
Address cover letter to: Ed Dunscombe
Position: Computing Center Assistant
Hours per week: Flexible (10-12)
- Responsible for providing basic computer assistance to walk-in patrons at the library's Public Computing Center. This includes basic instruction on laptops, tablets, and e-readers, as well as internet basics and Microsoft Office products.
- Walk-in patrons usually have rudimentary computer skills and require brief one-on-one instruction to help improve digital literacy.
- Will also assist patrons in conducting online job searches and applications and in writing resumes using available resources.
- May also be asked to provide instruction to small groups of students in a classroom-type setting.
- May be responsible for opening and closing the computing center, which is located on the second floor of the library.
- Will be trained and work under the supervision of the Director of the Public Computing Center.
- Will perform other related tasks as directed.
- Current Binghamton University student with excellent people skills
- Access to a personal car (location is off-campus)
Address cover letter to: Deborah Fitzgerald, Director of Human Resources
Job Title: Before or After School Aide
Wage & Hours per week: $7.35/hour, Approx. 10 hrs./week
Position begins September 4th; Must have use of personal car; This job requires 3 references (at least one should be from an employer) in addition to a cover letter and resume
Position Description/Responsibilities (Before School Aide):
- M-F, 6:50-8:50AM
- Help children start their day with fun, friends and a smile as they go off to class.
- Encourage and support children engaged in before school activities
- Ensure a safe environment for all children
- Assist superiors and children as necessary
*There are opportunities to transition into our summer program for year round employment.
- M-F; 3:15-5:45PM
- Help children end their day with fun, friends and a smile as they go home after school.
- Encourage and support children engaged in after school games & activities.
- Promote good sportsmanship.
- Ensure a safe environment for all children.
- Assist superiors and children as necessary.
- Ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner.
- Must possess the capacity to multi-task.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion and confidentiality.
- Compassion and empathy for others a must.
The Art Mission & Theater: Projectionist and Theater Assistant
61 Prospect Ave., Binghamton, NY 13901
Address cover letter to: Rebecca Sheriff, Executive Director.
Wage & Hours per week: up to 10hrs per week
The Projectionist will be responsible for running 35mm film and digital projectors. In addition, this position would include:
- Running the concession booth, stocking concessions and preparing popcorn.
- Opening and closing the register, preparing nightly reports.
- Answering the phone and taking messages.
- Providing general information about the Art Mission, movies and the art gallery.
- Providing information about membership opportunities.
- Assisting with general office work, distributing marketing materials and staffing tabling events.
- Communicating with the Executive Director about any needed items or facility problems. Assisting the Executive Director with other projects as necessary.
Qualifications: Experience in retail, customer service and/or working with the public. Experience with movie projection preferred. Interest in the arts and independent film. Willingness to learn to utilize the projectors.