Connections for Success: Leadership and Professional Development Retreat
Connections for Success is a Fleishman Center program created to engage sophomore students in conversations and to develop skills related to professional development and career readiness. Sophomore year is the ideal time to begin considering potential career paths and internships to prepare for these careers. Students chosen for this program will be invited to participate in a selective weekend professional development retreat the weekend of March 24-26, 2017 led by alumni, employers and staff in order to prepare them with the tools necessary to be a competitive applicant for internships, jobs and life beyond Binghamton University. This retreat will benefit students in many ways. Participants will develop themselves professionally and gain leadership experience. Attending students will:
- Learn effective communication skills when communicating with alumni and employers
- Understand how to effectively communicate strengths and weaknesses during an interview process
- Navigate how to find leadership positions on campus and understand how to utilize other people's strengths in order to reach a common goal
- Develop effective presentation skills and learn to engage an audience
- Identify skills that employers look for in candidates and understand how to gain those skills
Programmatic offerings correspond with the National Association for Colleges and Employers definition of Career Readiness and Competencies. These competencies are, Critical Thinking/Problem Solving, Oral/Written Communication, Teamwork/Collaboration, Information Technology Application, Leadership, Professionalism/Work Ethic, and Career Management.
Students considering this program are encouraged to attend one of the upcoming information sessions:
- Monday, Oct 31, 3-4 pm, UU133A
- Tuesday, Nov 1, 12:30-1:30 pm, UU133A
- Wednesday, Nov 2, 7-8 pm, UU133A
- Thursday, Nov 3, 2:30-3:30 pm, UU133A
- Friday, Nov 4, 3:30-4:30 pm, UU133A
How to Apply
Apply Now for the 2017 Connections for Success Retreat!