Internship Opportunities at Binghamton University
Internships are a valuable part of career exploration in which you can receive training, gain experience as well as a better understanding of what is needed to prepare for and succeed in a particular profession. An internship can be paid or unpaid, be for credit or not for credit and can vary in the hours or duration.
Before You Begin Your Search, Review These Resources:
- Internships: Opportunities For Exploration And ExperienceQuick Reference Guide (54.5 kb pdf) provides strategies for finding openings and addresses multiple issues, including understanding what employers want and identifying what you have to offer.
- The Fleishman Career Center's Job & Internship Fairs provide an opportunity to speak with employers about internship options.
- The Fleishman Career Center Programs educate students on how to prepare effective documents, interview, and search for internships, just to name a few.
- Make the most of On-Campus Recruiting and/or Employer Information Sessions. Use hireBING to identify employers who will be visiting campus to recruit or conduct information sessions.
- Have a resume and cover letter reviewed during Counselor on Call.
- Explore the resources in the Career Resource Area to help you with internship/job search tools.
- Create a timeline for yourself - use our Sample Timeline for Conducting a Summer Internship Search as a guide.
- Be sure to explore other ways to gain experience!
Identifying Internship Openings:
- The Fleishman Career Center's Academic Internship Program is one way for undergraduate students to earn academic credit for internships. Internships offered year-round.
- The Johnson City Mentor Program, a partnership between Binghamton University and the Johnson City School District, provides Johnson City students with role models and extra academic support. BU students encourage mentees to develop their organizational, planning and social skills while serving their community.
- Access your hireBING account (every matriculated BU student has one) to search for internships, upload your resume, and apply online.
- The Fleishman Career Center has identified numerous Internship Links that may be helpful.
- Internship Search Beyond hireBING.
Suggestions for Getting the Most Out of Your Internship
What Binghamton Students Say About Their Internship Experience:
- "I learned career-related information, what the field is like and the responsibilities of a profession."
- "I learned the relationships involved in completing tasks and strategies for accomplishing tasks."
- "I realized that effective leadership and effective listening skills are very important."