Fund Your Unpaid Summer Internship!
Sodexo Internship Fund
We all know that internships are a fantastic way to gain valuable hands-on experience, but it's hard to commit to an unpaid summer internship when you know you need to make money too. But what if that internship is the experience that's going to open the doors for your future job? What do you do?
Sodexo recognizes this issue and generously sponsors talented undergraduate students so they have financial support while completing unpaid summer internships. Through the Sodexo Internship Fund, you may receive up to $5,000 to defray the cost of pursuing an unpaid internship!
Who is Eligible
Currently matriculated Binghamton University undergraduate students who have been offered an unpaid full- or part-time internship for summer 2016 may apply. You must be completing the internship before you graduate, and you need to meet all of the following criteria:
- US citizen
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file at the University's Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services. Students with financial need will have priority.
Preference will be given to current Sodexo student employees and students who may not otherwise be able to complete an unpaid internship due to financial constraints. Priority will be given to students who have not previously received support through the Sodexo Internship Fund and those with financial need.
These funds are not intended to support undergraduate research and scholarly or creative work. For information on research resources visit the Undergraduate Research Center at www.binghamton.edu/undergraduate-research-center/.
All of the following items must be submitted in order for an application to be considered:
- Completed application form
- Resume uploaded to the "Sodexo Internship Fund" job posting in hireBING (Visit the the Fleishman Career Center's website for resume help and have your resume reviewed in the Fleishman Career Center during Counselor-on-Call hours)
- A personal statement uploaded to the "Sodexo Internship Fund" job posting in hireBING, no more than 2 pages in length, describing the internship you have been offered and how it fits with your career plans
- A letter or email from the organization offering an internship position. The offer
letter must include all of the following details:
- Description of the opportunity and intern expectations
- Number of hours per week and the total number of weeks for the internship
- Location of the internship (city, state, country, if outside the US)
- Statement that the internship is unpaid
- The internship supervisors' name and contact information (email, phone and address)
- Two reference letters (letters from current Sodexo staff will not be accepted)
Submit reference letters and the email/letter from the internship provider to email@example.com or Sodexo Internship Fund, the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development, PO Box 6000, Binghamton, NY 13902-6000.
Applications will be reviewed beginning March 16, 2016, and decisions made on a rolling basis. Applications cannot be considered until all of the above items are received. The final deadline to apply is May 1, 2016. Applications received after 11 p.m. EST on May 1, 2016 will not be considered. Final decisions will be communicated during the first week in May.
- The Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development staff will assist students in identifying internship opportunities and will review draft resumes during walk-in advising hours.
- Academic credit may be available through the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development's CDCI Program or a student's academic major department.
- Please note: Some employers may require students to take the internship for credit.
How it Works
- We contact your supervisor the week you start your internship and they verify that you started.
- We then start to process your first check (the total amount you get is cut in half).
- After a couple weeks, you receive half of the amount we offered.
- Toward the end of your internship, we ask you to send us a thank you note for Sodexo and a picture of you at your internship.
- Once we have that and verification from your supervisor that you have just about finished your internship, we start processing your second check.
- You get the second check a couple weeks after that.
Dara Riegel, Internship and Career Consultant
Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development,
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org