New York Conference on Asian Studies (NYCAS)
September 27-28, 2013
Registration deadline to be in the program is September 10.
Registrations received after that date will be $140 for faculty and $80 for graduate
Binghamton University will host the 49th annual meetings of the New York Conference on Asian Studies (NYCAS) on September 27-28, 2013. The venue will be the Holiday Inn Arena & Convention Center in downtown Binghamton.
This two-day event, which will draw scholars of Asia from across New York State and beyond, will feature panels and a number of special events, which will include:
- A workshop introducing the China Historical Geographic Information Systems and the China Biographical Data Base;
- A keynote address by Peter K. Bol, the Charles H. Carswell Professor of East Asian Languages Civilization at Harvard University;
- A presidential address by the President of the Association for Asian Studies, Thongchai Winichakul of the University of Wisconsin;
- Between Two Worlds: Paintings by Ruby Wang, an exhibit of works by the acclaimed Chinese artist (and former Binghamton resident), Ruby Wang (Xia Zhining) at the University Art Museum with a special reception for NYCAS participants; and
- "Amazing China" Concert, presented by the Confucius Institute of Chinese Opera at Binghamton University.
In addition to the Confucius Institute of Chinese Opera, Binghamton's Department of Asian and Asian American Studies and its Institute for Asia and Asian Diasporas have cooperated in preparations for these meetings, which will be the third time they have been held at Binghamton (the others being 1997 and 2007).