Already a preeminent doctoral research university, Binghamton is working to become the premier public university of the 21st century. Our Web presence must support that goal.
The user experience and branding of Binghamton's website is critically important to the University. The Website is often the first and sometimes the only experience people have with Binghamton University. Therefore, this online experience must be excellent. And, since many users access the Web via mobile technology, it must also be mobile friendly.
To meet the needs of the University, binghamton.edu was created and is continually updated and maintained to accomplish the following:
- Serve the University's primary audiences: prospective students, their influencers and supporters of the University. Note that when primary audience needs are met, most needs of internal audiences are also met.
- Leverage best-in-class design, modern technologies, and best practices in user-interface development.
- Employ intuitive, user-centered navigation that is clear and consistent.
- Offer improved usability that meets state guidelines for accessibility. This site has valid HTML, XHTML and CSS, passes New York state web accessibility validation and adheres to Section 508 (29 U.S.C. ' 794d) of the Federal Rehabilitation Act.
- Use a content management system (OmniUpdate) that greatly enhances the productivity of campus content providers, while helping to ensure integrity, over time, in a decentralized Web-publishing environment.