General Education Requirements

All undergraduate students of Binghamton University are required to fulfill a two credit physical activity/wellness requirement as part of the General Education requirement. The Department of Health and Wellness Studies offers a number of courses that meet the General Education requirement.

We offer a variety of courses that satisy the undergraduate General Education requirements of Activity (Y), Wellness (S), and/or Both (B). These requirements enable us to introduce fundamentals and new experiences to those students who otherwise might not seek them out and to encourage higher-level skill development and depth of knowledge for more experienced students.

Students may satisfy the two-credit Physical Activity/Wellness requirement in any of the following ways:

  • 2 credit B course
  • 1 credit Y course AND 1 credit S course
  • 1 credit B course AND 1 credit Y course
  • 1 credit B course AND 1 credit S course
  • 2 - 1 credit B courses

With the intent of making it easier to fulfill the graduation requirement, most of these credits are offered through the Department of Health and Wellness Studies in the form of a two (2) credit B course. Please keep in mind other departments also offer courses that will satisfy the Physical Activity/Wellness components of the general education requirements. Students are encouraged to fulfill the requirement early on in their academic career. Postponment may cause scheduling difficulties which may impact your graduation target date.

Graduate students may audit HWS courses on a 'space available' basis and are not allowed to advance register.

Transfer credits may be accepted from other academic institutions if the course is equivalent in contact hours and content to that offered at Binghamton University. Credits may not be transferred from non-academic agencies such as health spas, fitness clubs, karate schools, dance schools, etc. Students who intend to register for a health and/or physical education course at another instution should receive prior approval from both the academic adviser as well as the Department of Health and Wellness Studies. For more information regarding transfer credits, please contact your academic adviser.

Students with temporary or permanent physical disabilities, after being examined by the University physician, may be assigned to the Adaptive, Corrective, Rehabilitative Program (ACR) or request the General Education requirement be waived. Please note that waiving the credit does not grant credit for courses not taken, nor does it reduce the credit hours required for graduation.

Last Updated: 7/2/14