ISSS Forms

The forms listed below are on the ISSS (International Students and Scholars Services) web site. (connect to the link above this sentence) Below is a brief summary. Please see ISSS for details about each form.

CPT - Academic Advisors Recommendation Form for Curricular Practical Training

must be connected to credits for which the student is registered
must be directly related to major program of student's study
apply for CPT at least 2 weeks before the start date
student must have completed 2 full semesters before doing CPT
student must have an offer letter

OPT - Academic Advisor's Recommendation for for Optional Practical Training

OPT can be used after student graduates
student must have offer letter
must be registered for 2 consecutive semesters before OPT
there is a charge that ISSS will give you information about
government processing takes about 10-12 weeks
can graduate with each degree and do OPT after BS, again after MS and again after PhD
special time frames are connected with OPT STEM (additional 17 months allowed)
Directions on ISSS web site

RCL - Request for Reduced Course Load

for students with F1 Visa
there are 3 types-academic difficulty, completion of study and medical condition
when using form for completion of study, please be aware if you have completed your course work, you can fill out an ECE form for full time certification and use GRD 700 or 701 credits to make up the number you need beyond your project, thesis or dissertation credits-there is no charge for GRD 700 or 701 credits

a student who files an RCL in their final semester is not at a disadvantage in anyway. That said, they have to be sure that they are going to graduate that semester (otherwise the RCL for final semester would be moot). So, when grad students are working on something such as thesis/final project/dissertation, the use of full-time certification credits is often preferred, which allows for greater flexibility. However, for undergraduates who are in their final semester, or grad students who are confident that they are graduating, the RCL is the way to go.

Last Updated: 5/23/16