New York State Grants

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Undergraduates may apply for TAP for the summer, fall, and spring semesters, and may receive TAP for up to four years of study (eight semesters). Binghamton University's TAP code is 0880.

TAP provides undergraduate students who are residents of New York State and meet financial and academic criteria with grants from $500 to $5,165 per academic year. Limits for minimum and maximum awards are determined by the New York State Legislature. Click here for TAP estimator.

TAP eligibility

  • New York State resident and either a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or refugee
  • Have graduated from a high school in the United States, or earned a high school equivalency diploma. Click here for more information about the high school equivalency diploma.
  • Be a matriculated undergraduate student with full-time enrollment in a degree program
  • Meet income requirements
  • Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress

How to apply for TAP

• Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

• After completing your FAFSA, begin your online TAP application immediately using the link on your FAFSA Confirmation Page.

• If you miss the TAP link after finishing the FAFSA, you must wait 3-4 business days, until your FAFSA data is received and processed by HESC.  You will then receive an email directing you to the HESC web site to complete the TAP on the Web application.

• If you received TAP in the previous year, you will still need to complete the TAP application via the link emailed to you after completing the FAFSA. Your information will be pre-filled from the prior year.

Read complete details about applying for TAP

How does tap work?

  • TAP is awarded for the academic year, but is certified every semester based on the successful completion of the prior semester’s requirements, including completed credit hours and GPA.
  • Every semester, if awarded, an actual TAP will show as a credit on the bill, viewable on Quikpay. However, in order for the TAP funds to pay, your eligibility must be certified. This typically occurs during the 5th week of classes every semester.
  • If your TAP is certified and you are owed a refund, you will receive an e-mail from Student Accounts indicating that your TAP funds have been received and your refund is available. This typically occurs around the 6th week of classes every semester after certification is complete.
  • If your TAP is not certified, you will be notified. You will also no longer receive credit on your bill for TAP, which may create an account balance. If you have questions regarding why you were decertified, please contact our office. Otherwise, you will have to contact Student Accounts to resolve any outstanding account balance that may have resulted.
  • For specific eligibility requirements, including how many credits a student must successfully complete in the prior semester, please visit our TAP eligibility page:

For recipients of New York State Scholarships

  • NYS Scholarships, such as the World Trade Center Scholarship, must also be certified each semester.
  • Once certified, NYS Scholarships will disburse around the same time as other NYS aid, typically around the 6th week of classes. If you are owed a refund upon the receipt of your NYS Scholarship, you will be notified by Student Accounts. Students who lose their scholarship eligibility will be notified. 


  • TAP eligible students are also eligible to receive a SUNY Tuition Credit award to offset tuition charges. This award is calculated and based on the level of a student's TAP award.

New York State Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

What is APTS?
APTS is a New York state grant program for students pursuing an undergraduate degree on a part-time basis.

How much aid is available?
Eligible undergraduate students can receive up to $2,000 per year to assist in paying tuition expenses.

Who’s eligible?
To be eligible for APTS, New York state requires you to:

  • Be a matriculated undergraduate student (enrolled in a degree granting major at Binghamton University)
  • Be a New York state resident
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Be enrolled for at least 3 but not more than 11 undergraduate credits per semester
  • Have tuition charges of at least $100 that are not paid or reimbursed by an employer or other tuition scholarship
  • Have a minimum GPA of 2.0
  • Meet the NYS Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
  • Not be in default of a Federal Education Loan

Students must also meet the following income guidelines:

  • If you were claimed as a tax dependent by your parents, your combined NYS net taxable income for you and your parents cannot exceed $50,550.
  • If you were not claimed as a tax dependent by your parents, your NYS net taxable income for you (and your spouse) cannot exceed $34,250.
  • If you were not claimed as a tax dependent by your parents and you claim dependent children, your NYS net taxable income for you (and your spouse) cannot exceed $50,550.

How to apply:

  • For the 2016-17 aid year, Complete an APTS application
  • The 2017-18 APTS application will become available in May 2017.
  • Attach a signed copy of your New York state tax return (i.e. NYS IT-150 or NYS IT-201)
  • Dependent students must also submit a signed copy of parent(s) New York State tax return.
  • Submit all information to Financial Aid Services prior to the University’s deadline listed on the application.

New York State Scholarships

New York State students may be eligible for a variety of scholarship and award programs to help pay for college. Click here to learn about eligibility requirements and application information.

If you have been awarded one of the following scholarships, you must notify the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) via the “Tap Application Process”

There are several types of New York state aid, which include grants and scholarships administered by Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) and the New York State Education Department:

Last Updated: 4/5/17