David M. Jenkins
Professor of Geology
University of Chicago
Office: Science 1, Room 267
Telephone: (607) 777-2736
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Experimental Petrology
- Stability of common minerals at crustal and upper-mantle pressures and temperatures
- Equilibrium chemical reactions between minerals and aqueous solutions
- Non-equilibrium aspects of mineral formation
- Reaction mechanisms and rates of mineral growth
- Diffusion rates of anions and cations
- Extraction of thermodynamic data derived from experimental mineral equilibria
- Crystal Chemistry
- Chemical substitutions in common minerals
- Distribution of cations within mineral structures
- Changes in crystal lattice with changes in chemical composition
- Metamorphic Petrology
- Geothermometry and geobarometry of metamorphosed mafic rocks
- Fluid rock interactions at high pressures and temperatures
Nanfei Cheng, PhD candidate (expected 2018)
Jared Matteucci, MS student (expected 2018)
GEOL 102 - Geology of the Solar System
GEOL 212 - Earth Materials
GEOL 470/570 - Geochemistry
- Mueller, B. L., Jenkins, D. M., and Dyar, M. D. (2017) Chlorine incorporation in amphiboles synthesized along the magnesio-hastingsite–hastingsite compositional join. European Journal of Mineralogy, (in press).
- Holsing, N. A., and Jenkins, D. M. (2016) Gasket temperature: an alternate technique for estimating sample temperature in a multi-anvil apparatus. High Pressure Research, 36, 557-563. DOI:10.1080/08957959.2016.1177045
- Chan, A., Jenkins, D. M., and Dyar, M. D. (2016) Partitioning of chlorine between NaCl brines and ferro-pargasite: Implications for the formation of chlorine-rich amphiboles in mafic rocks. Canadian Mineralogist, 54, 337-351.
- Huang, Y., Lin, Y-C., Jenkins, D. M., Chernova, N. A., Chung, Y., Radhakrishnan, B.; Chu, I-H., Fang, J., Wang, Q., Omenya, F., Ong, S. P., Whittingham, M. S. (2016) Thermal stability and reactivity of cathode materials for Li-ion batteries. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8 (11), 7013–7021. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.5b12081.
- Jagniecki, E., Lowenstein, T. K., Jenkins, D. M., and Demicco, R. V. (2015) Eocene atmospheric CO2 from the nahcolite proxy. Geology, 43, 1075-1078.
- Corona, J. C., Jenkins, D. M., and Dyar, M. D. (2015) The experimental incorporation of Fe into talc: a study using X-ray diffraction, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, and Mössbauer spectroscopy. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 170, Article 29, 15 pp.
- Lei, J., Jenkins, D. M., and Ishida, K. (2015) Experimental study along the magnesio-hornblende–glaucophane join. American Mineralogist, 100, 495-509.
- Jenkins, D. M., Carpenter, M. A., and Zhang., M. (2014) Experimental and infrared characterization of the miscibility gap along the tremolite-glaucophane join. American Mineralogist, 99, 730-741.
- Corona, J. C., Jenkins, D. M., and Holland, T. J. B. (2013) Constraints on the upper pressure stability of blueschist facies metamorphism along the reaction: glaucophane = talc + 2 jadeite in the Na2O-MgO-Al2O3-SiO2-H2O system. American Journal of Science, 313, 967-995.