Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - Grad School
students enjoying nice weather outside in front of the university union

New Non-Degree (Non-Matriculated) Graduate Student Checklist

Welcome to Binghamton University's community of scholars, researchers, and teachers!

We're confident you will find Binghamton a rewarding place to continue your education. Below you will find a list of steps you must take and resources you can use as a new non-degree (non-matriculated) graduate student. Make sure to familiarize yourself with these resources as you prepare for graduate studies at Binghamton University.

Activate and Access Your BMail

BMail is your official Binghamton e-mail account. Since all official University communication will be sent here, make sure to check your BMail at least once a week prior to the start of the semester and more often during the semester. Get started.

Reminder: You must have activated your Binghamton University User ID in order to activate your BMail. If you haven't yet activated your User ID, click here and select "Activate Password."

Log into BMail.

Binghamton University Account Access



Manage Your Binghamton University Computer Account

Your Binghamton University computer account is used to access all online resources on campus, including the Binghamton Portal ( The portal will link you to Blackboard, BU Brain Self-Service, online bill pay, registration, transcripts, and more. You can also use your computer account to access other services such as public computers on campus and Internet connection. You access your computer account by logging in with your user ID and password.

Changing password or security questions: Go to the Binghamton University Account Access website. Click "Manage Account Profile." Enter your user ID and password. Follow the instructions for changing your password or security questions.

Binghamton University Account Access

Binghamton Portal


Accept the Code of Conduct

You are required to read and accept the online Code of Conduct. When you first access a web service through BU Brain, the Code of Conduct will be presented automatically. Once it appears, please review the information as required and select CONTINUE.

BU Brain


Submit Mandatory Health Forms

Certain health forms are required for all students. You must download the required immunization forms and submit them to the Decker Student Health Services Center via mail, fax, or a PDF e-mail attachment before you will be allowed to register. For more information, visit the Decker Student Health Services Center website or call 607-777-2221. 

Health Forms

Decker Student Health Services Center


Submit Final, Official Transcript(s)

The Graduate School at Binghamton University requires hard copies of your official, final transcript(s) documenting your previous college and/or university coursework and degree conferral. This requirement applies to all enrolling students, both matriculated and non-matriculated. You must submit your transcript(s) no later than six weeks after the beginning of the semester in which you begin graduate studies.

It is essential that we receive the required documentation in a timely manner to assure that your student record is updated. If your final transcript is not received, you will be unable to register for coursework in future semesters. Also, missing such documentation may result in a rescinded admission offer or a hold on your student account, or prevent the future conferral of a graduate degree.

Please request your transcript(s) be mailed via the postal service; do not fax or e-mail your official, final transcript(s). Unofficial documents will not be accepted.

To assure receipt of delivery and timely processing of your transcript, please be sure your transcript(s) is(are) mailed to:

Binghamton University
ATTENTION: The Graduate School
PO Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 


Register for Classes and Obtain Textbooks

You will use BU Brain, Binghamton University's online student services hub, to view the course schedule, check your registration time ticket, confirm your enrollment, and add and drop classes. You can access BU Brain by logging into the Binghamton Portal and selecting the BU Brain Self Service icon. You may also access a public schedule of courses here.

You will be able to register for classes beginning one week before the start of the term. 

Admitted non-degree students may register for most graduate classes; however, some programs limit admission to certain classes. It is your responsibility to verify that courses are available for the semester in which you apply. Contact the graduate director in your academic program of interest with your specific class/registration questions.

What if registration is full for the class I want to attend?

If registration for the course you wish to attend is full, you may petition the instructor for admittance into the class. Contact the instructor directly, via e-mail, to make your request. The instructor, in conjunction with the academic department, will review the petition. You may also opt to take a different class.


Visit the University Bookstore in the University Union to view the list of textbooks required for your courses and to buy or rent your textbooks.

BU Brain

How to Register with BU Brain

Binghamton Portal

Schedule of Courses

University Calendar

University Bookstore


Obtain Student ID Card

All graduate students must have a student ID card to access most campus services. Binghamton University undergraduate students will need to obtain a new graduate student ID card in order to take advantage of extended library privileges and other graduate student services.

ID cards are available through the Registrar. New students may upload their own ID card photo in advance to avoid waiting in lines at the beginning of the semester. Use your Binghamton University user ID and password to login.

Visit the Registrar website to learn where and when the office will be issuing student IDs. A valid photo ID is required.

Student ID Cards

Upload Photo



Confirm Enrollment

Students are required to confirm their enrollments in their coursework every semester by the fifth day of classes. You will confirm your enrollment using BU Brain. For instructions, visit the Registrar website.

BU Brain

Confirmation of Enrollment Instructions


Pay Your Bill

Your semester bill notification will be sent to your BMail. The first semester bill notification is sent after you have registered for classes and confirmed your enrollment. You may pay your tuition and fees online through Student Accounts through Quikpay. Make sure to pay by the date listed on the bill to avoid penalties. If you have questions regarding tuition, billing, or payment, please contact Student Accounts directly at 607-777-2702 or

Student Accounts



Seeking a Future Degree or Certificate

If you later decide that you would like to pursue a graduate degree or certificate at Binghamton University, the Graduate School welcomes your application. Depending on the curriculum requirements of a program, some courses taken as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree.

Please note: Non-degree graduate students may take up to 12 credits total, though some academic departments and schools limit that number further. Any credits taken beyond the 12-credit limit as a non-degree student will not be counted toward earning a degree, if you later matriculate into a graduate degree program. View the Graduate School Manual for details.

Admission to a graduate degree program or certificate requires an application to the Graduate School, formal acceptance, and enrollment. Taking courses as a non-degree (non-matriculated student) does not guarantee admission to a degree-granting program.

View program deadlinesApply for graduate study.

Program Deadlines



Familiarize Yourself with Campus Resources

Blackboard: Interact and communicate with fellow students and professors in a virtual classroom related to your courses. Access Blackboard through the Binghamton Portal. Use your Binghamton University user ID and password.

bMobi: The bMobi application for iPhones, iPods, iPads, Blackberries, Androids, and other web-enabled cell phones and tablets provides course schedules, campus maps, news, videos, directories, athletic news, information on campus events, images, and more. View instructions and download bMobi.

Bookstore: Buy textbooks and more at the University Bookstore.

NY-Alert/RAVE: Receive text messages or e-mails through NY-Alert/RAVE, the University's emergency alert system. Sign up or decline.

BUC$: Turn your student ID card into a debit card that you can use at numerous locations, both on and off campus. Learn more.

Campus Map: Access a campus map. View a list of building abbreviations.

Campus Meal Plans: Learn about Binghamton University dining options and meal plans at BUDining.

Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD): The CCPD, along with the Graduate School and the Graduate Student Organization (GSO), will present a number of professional development workshops during the semester. Be sure to check your BMail for notifications. Visit the CCPD website.

Center for Civic Engagement (CCE): The CCE helps student connect with the Greater Binghamton area through community-based research, internship, and volunteer opportunities. Visit the CCE website.

Computer Hardware and Software Discounts: Many vendors offer computer hardware and software at a discount to Binghamton University students. View hardware and software.

Libraries: Binghamton University libraries have three locations: Glenn G. Bartle Library, Science Library, and University Downtown Center Library. Learn more, search the library catalog, and access journals and databases on their website

Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS): The ISSS provides resources and advice for international students, including information on visas, housing, and international student organizations. Visit the ISSS website.

Printing Services: Students receive a quota each semester to print using the Pharos laser printing system on campus. View instructions and more information.

The Graduate School Manual: This essential resource provides important information on Graduate School policies, including degree requirements. Access the online manual.

University Bulletin: Review specific information about academic programs and degree requirements in the University Bulletin.

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 6/18/15