Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education
Associate Professor, Department of History (Harpur College)
Phone : 607-777-3329
Fax : 607 - 777-3587
E-mail : email@example.com
- PhD, History, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MAT, History, Washington University in St. Louis
- BA, English Literature, Northwestern University
Awards and Honors
National Academy of Education/ Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, 2009
Blattburg Writing Award, University of Wisconsin Department of History, 2002
Hansen Excellence in Teaching Award, Marquette University High School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 2001
Courses regularly taught
- Issues in American History
- History of American Education
- Race, Class, and Social Justice
- History of Conservatism in the United States
Current Research Interests
- American Educational History
- Twentieth Century American History
- Religious History
- History of Conservatism
- History Education
I study the history of American education, particularly the history of cultural conflicts over curriculum and educational philosophy. Most of my work has concerned the role of educational activism of conservatives. I am currently working on a book about the development of a network of conservative evangelical colleges during the twentieth century, tentatively titled Fundamentalist U: Keeping the Faith in American Higher Education.
I also study the teaching of history. I am interested in teacher professional development, connections between university and K-12 history education, and changing ideas about morality in history education.
- "'Surely You're Joking, Mr. Huckabee:' Creationism in Historical Perspective," a talk at the Evolutionary Studies Program, Binghamton University, November 7, 2011. To hear this lecture, see the EVOS post: http://vimeo.com/31851749
- The Other School Reformers: Conservative Activism in American Education, coming Fall 2014 from Harvard University Press
- Fundamentalism and Education in the Scopes Era: God, Darwin, and the Roots of America's Culture Wars, Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
o For more info, see the webpage: http://us.macmillan.com/fundamentalismandeducationinthescopesera
Articles and Book Chapters
- "The Missionary Supposition: Evolution Education and Creationist Culture," Reports of the National Center for Science Education, 33:6 (November-December 2013): http://reports.ncse.com/index.php/rncse/article/view/201/392.
- "Our Schools, Our Country: American Evangelicals, Public Schools, and the Supreme Court Decisions of 1962 and 1963," Journal of Religious History (Australia),36:3 (September 2012): 1-16.
- “Red Schoolhouse, Burning Cross: The Ku Klux Klan of the 1920s and Educational Reform,” History of Education Quarterly, 52:3(August 2012).
- “Monkeys, Bibles, and the Little Red Schoolhouse: Atlanta’s School Battles in the Scopes Era,” Georgia Historical Quarterly,95:3 (Fall 2011): 335-355.
- “Many Educational Pasts: Conservative Visions and Revisions of the History of American Education,” Teachers College Record, 114; 3 (2012): http://www.tcrecord.org ID Number: 16300, Date Accessed: 1/26/2011.
- "Forging a Fundamentalist ‘One Best System:' Struggles over Curriculum and Educational Philosophy for Christian Day Schools, 1970-1989," History of Education Quarterly, 50 (February 2010):55-83.
- “Inside Out: The Transformation of Conservative Protestant Educational Activism, 1962-1990,” in Inequity in Education: A Historical Perspective , edited by Debra Meyers and Burke Miller, Lexington Books, Rowman and Littlefield Press, 2009, pp 183-209.
- "The Quiet Crusade: The Moody Bible Institute's Outreach to Public Schools and the Mainstreaming of Appalachia, 1921-1966," Church History 75:3 (September 2006):565-593.
Articles (Non-Peer reviewed/Media):
- "Why Do Conservative Southerners Loudly Insist that Kids Be Taught Lies about the Civil War?" History News Network, 17 February 2014: http://hnn.us/article/154748.
- "To Teach Evolution, You Have to Understand Creationists," The Chronicle of Higher Education, November 19, 2012, http://chronicle.com/article/To-Teach-Evolution-You-Have/135832/.
- "The Real Wall of Separation in Public Schools," Washington Post's education blog, The Answer Sheet, 6 September 2012: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/the-real-wall-of-separation-in-public-schools/2012/09/05/aaf3d766-f6b7-11e1-8253-3f495ae70650_blog.html#pagebreak.
- "Does David Barton's Flameout Make This a Scopes Moment for American History?" History News Network, 20 August 2012: http://hnn.us/articles/does-david-bartons-flameout-make-scopes-moment-american-history.
Founder/Contributing Editor: I Love You but You're Going to Hell: An Outsider's Guide to Conservatism in American Education, http://iloveyoubutyouregoingtohell.org; a blog devoted to exploring news and ideas related to conservative education policy in the United States.
- Journal of American History
- History of Education Quarterly
- Church History
- American Studies Journal
- H-Education Book Reviews
- Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era
- Reports of the National Center for Science Education