C. Beth Burch
Dean, Graduate School of Education
- PhD in English, Purdue University
- MA in English, Oklahoma State University
- BA in English Education, Southwestern Oklahoma State University
Courses regularly taught
- Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations in English Pedagogy
- Curriculum and Teaching in English
- Practica in Secondary Education, English
- Rhetorical Grammar
Current Research Interests
- Teaching Composition
- Teaching Literature of the Holocaust
- Technology in the English Classroom
- Writing for the Web
- American Jewish Women Writers
Selected Publications Since 1990
- A Writer’s Grammar . New York: Longman, 2003.
- Writing for Your Portfolio: A Composition Rhetoric. New York: Allyn & Bacon/Simon & Schuster. 1999.
- “Teaching Holocaust Literature.”* Learning to Listen in New Ways: Exploring Culturally Diverse Literature for Children and Adolescents . Eds. Jill May and Darwin Henderson. Pearson Education, 2005. 300-13.
- Burch, C. Beth. “Thinking About Your Teaching Portfolio.” Strategies for Teaching First-Year Composition . Ed. Duane Roen et al. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 2002.
- “Portfolio Assignment for Writing and Discourse.” Strategies for Teaching First-Year Composition . Ed. Duane Roen et al. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 2002. 186-89, 501-05.
- “Inside the Portfolio Experience: The Student’s Perspective.” Rpt. In Trends and Issues in Postsecondary English Studies . Ed. Zarina M. Hock. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 2000.
- “Finding Out What’s In Their Heads: Using Teaching Portfolios to Assess English Education Students—and Programs.” Situating Portfolios . Eds. Kathleen Blake Yancey and Irwin Weiser. Logan: Utah State UP, 1997. 263- 77.
- "Jewish Women Writers. " The Oxford Companion to Women's Writing in the United States . New York: Oxford UP, 1994. 440-43."
- Allegra Goodman." Jewish American Women Writers: A Reference Guide . Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1994. 88-94.
- “Portfolios From the Inside: Writing Portfolios From the Student’s Perspective.” English Education 32.1 (October 1999): 34-50.
- “Just Resisting Writing, Just Resisting Reflection.” Journal of Teacher Education 50.3 (1999): 165-72.
- “Creating a Two-Tiered Portfolio Rubric.” English Journal 86.1 (1997): 55-58.
- "Mary Antin's The Promised Land and the Failure of Assimilation." Studies in American Jewish Literature 12 (1993): 36-42.
- "Johanna Kaplan's O My America!: The Jewish Female Claim to America."* Studies in American Jewish Literature 9.1 (1990): 36-48.
Other Professional Activities
- CO-PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR, Teacher Leader Quality Partnership Project, a New York State Department of Education four-year grant at $1,200,000, 2004-2008. In partnership with Dr. Paul-William Burch.CO-PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR, Enhancing Education Through Technology Project, a New York State Department of Education three-year grant at $1,100,000, 2004-2007. In partnership with Dr. Paul-William Burch.
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2008
- Outstanding High School Teacher Award, The University of Chicago, 1988