Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education
- Ph.D. Education, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MS Early Childhood and Elementary Education, Bank Street College of Education
- BA Literature, Sarah Lawrence College
Courses regularly taught
- Child Growth and Development
- Curriculum and Teaching in the Elementary Grades
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Introduction to Research in Elementary Education
Current Research Interests
- Social Justice and Education
- Racial identity and teacher education
- Race and qualitative research methodology
- School culture and change
- Gordon, J., & Patterson, J.A. (2008). “It’s what we’ve always been doing” Exploring tensions between school culture and change, Journal of Educational Change,9,17-35.
- Gordon, J., & Patterson, J.A. (2006). School leadership in context: Narratives of practice and possibility. International Journal for Leadership in Education 9 (3), 205-228.
- Gordon, J. (2005). White on white: A white researcher explores assumptions about race, colorblindness, and white privilege in white schools undertaking reform, Urban Review , 37 (4), 279-302.
- Gordon, J. (2005). Inadvertent complicity: Colorblindness in teacher education. Educational Studies 38 (2), 135-153.