Professor, Graduate School of Education
Phone: 607-777- 2478
- PhD, Educational Leadership & Policy Studies, Arizona State University
- MA, Bilingual Education, University of Connecticut
- BA, Spanish-Secondary Education, University of Connecticut
Courses regularly taught
- Supervision of Instruction
- Professional Development in Schools
- Politics of Education
- Curriculum Leadership
Current Research Interests
- Gender and politics in PreK-12 educational leadership
- Teachers' & leaders' professional development
- Tallerico, M. (2014). District issues: Administrators at all levels involved in teachers' professional development. In Martin, L., Kragler, S., Quatroche, D., & Bauserman, K. (Eds.), Handbook of professional development in education: Successful models and practices PreK-12, pp. 125-144. New York: Guilford Press.
- Tallerico, M. (2012). Leading curriculum improvement: Fundamentals for school principals. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Education.
- Tallerico, M. (2007). Three strategies for administrators to support school-based staff developers. Journal of Staff Development , 28(1), pp. 42-45.
- Tallerico, M. (2007). Career patterns in schools. In B. Bank (Ed.), Gender and education: An encyclopedia . Westport, CT: Praeger-Greenwood Press.
- Tallerico, M. (2005). Supporting and sustaining teachers’ professional development: A principal’s guide . Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Penna, A., & Tallerico, M. (2005). Grade retention and school completion: Through students' eyes. Journal of At-Risk Issues , 2 (1), 13-17.
- Tallerico, M., & Blount, J. (2004). Women and the superintendency: Insights from theory and history. Educational Administration Quarterly , 40(5), 633-662.
- Tallerico, M. & Burstyn, J. N. (2004). Politics and paradox: The case of an urban alternative school. Planning and Changing , 35(1 & 2), 33-54
- Theel, R., & Tallerico, M. (2004). Using portfolios for teacher hiring: Insights from school principals. Action in Teacher Education , 26 (1).
- Tallerico, M. (2003). Policy, structural, and school board influences on superintendent supply and demand. The Journal of School Leadership , 13 (3), 347-364.
- Tallerico, M. (2000). Gaining access to the superintendency: Headhunting, gender, and color. Educational Administration Quarterly , 36(1), 18-43.
- Tallerico, M. (2000). Accessing the superintendency: The unwritten rules . Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press & the American Association of School Administrators.
- Staff Development 2006 Book of the Year Award from the National Staff Development Council (2006, December)
- Davis Award for outstanding research article published in Educational Administration Quarterly, 2005
- Special Recognition Award for “extraordinary, careful, and thoughtful reviews” from the University Council for Educational Administration & the Educational Administration Quarterly, 2003 & 1999
- Award of Recognition for research, advocacy, and service, from the New York State Association for Women in Administration, 2001