Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education
Literacy Education Program Coordinator
- Ph.D. Curriculum & Instruction – Literacy Education, Texas A&M University
- M.Ed. Curriculum & Instruction – English/Language Arts, Texas A&M University
- B.A. Speech Communications, Baylor University
Courses regularly taught
- Content Area Literacy
- Literacy Assessment and Teaching
Current Research Interests
- Reading related difficulties
- Teacher preparation
- Reading and socio-emotional learning and assessment
- Washburn, E.K., Binks-Cantrell, E., & Joshi, R.M. (in press). What do preservice teachers from the US and UK know about dyslexia? Dyslexia.
- Washburn, E.K., & Mulcahy, C. (in press). Expanding teachers' knowledge of the English language: Principles and practices for teacher-educators. Reading and Writing Quarterly.
- Washburn, E.K., & Cavagnetto, A. (in press). Using argument as a tool for integrating science and literacy. The Reading Teacher.
- Dixon, L. Q., Wu, S., Burgess-Brigham, R., Joshi, R. M., Binks-Cantrell, E., Washburn, E.K. (in press). Teaching English reading: What's included in the textbooks of pre-service general education teachers? In N. Harwood (Ed.), English language teaching textbooks: Content, consumption, production. New York: Palgrave.
- Binks-Cantrell, E., Joshi, R. M., & Washburn, E. K. (2012). Validation of an instrument for assessing teacher knowledge of basic language constructs of literacy. Annals of Dyslexia, 62, 153-171.
- Binks-Cantrell, E., Washburn, E. K., Joshi, R. M., & Hougen, M. (2012). Peter effect validated in reading teacher education. Scientific Studies of Reading, 16(6), 526-536.
- Washburn, E. K., Joshi, R. M., & Binks-Cantrell, E. S. (2011) Teachers' knowledge of basic language concepts related to reading instruction and dyslexia. Dyslexia, 17(2), 165-83.
- Washburn, E. K., Joshi, R. M., & Binks-Cantrell, E. S. (2011). Are preservice teachers prepared to teach struggling readers? Annals of Dyslexia, 61, 21-43.
- Mc Tigue, E. M., Washburn, E. K., & Liew, J. (2009). Resiliency and reading: The role of self-efficacy in learning to read. The Reading Teacher, 62(5), 422-432.
Certifications (all from Texas)
- Master Reading Teacher
- Reading Specialist
- Speech Communications and Debate
- English as a Second Language