Teacher Education at Binghamton
At Binghamton, Teacher Education is organized around several graduate programs. Although some of our courses are open to undergraduates as electives, our teacher certification programs are offered at the masters level only.
Our Pre-Service Programs are for students who do not yet have any certification to teach. Our In-Service Programs are for students who already hold teacher certification. Please read about the programs that interest you to learn if you are qualified to apply.
Our Educational Studies program is designed for three types of students
- teachers who do not qualify for one of our other programs
- international students who do not hold NYS certification
- therapists, counselors, and other service providers who want to increase understanding of children or schools, but do not want to become teachers
As you read about programs that interest you, please note any prerequisite requirements and, for your application, specific essays or exams the program requires, as well as application deadlines. Some programs admit students only for the fall; others admit throughout the year. When you have all the information, you will apply to GSE.
With the exception of Educational Studies, all of our programs are designed to correspond with New York State teacher certification, which is organized by age as well as content. See Teacher Certification for further information. NYS requires students to complete 100 hours of fieldwork, linked to coursework, before student teaching. Please read about these Fieldwork Requirements.
Job Outlook and Employment Resources
The demand for teachers in New York State varies by geographical location, grade, and subject. You can make the most of your education if you are aware of which kinds of teachers are needed in which New York State communities and other states. The NYSED Office of Higher Education provides the most current information on teacher supply and demand throughout the state.
These links can aid you in your search for a teaching position in New York State or elsewhere in the country.
• Binghamton University Career Development Center
• New York State Education Department List of Job Banks
• Information About Teacher Certification in Other States
• SchoolSpring.com - The Employment Resource for Educators
• Link to Local Broome-Tioga Component School Districts
Childhood & Early Childhood Education (Birth to Grade 6) - MSEd degree
Adolescence Education (Grades 7-12) - MAT degree
- English - MAT
- Foreign Languages (French & Spanish) - MAT --- also see BA/MAT degree option
- Mathematics - MAT --- also see BA/MAT degree option
- Biology - MAT --- also see BA/MAT degree option
- Chemistry - MAT --- also see BA/MAT degree option
- Earth Science - MAT --- also see BA/MAT degree option--- also see BS/MAT degree option
- Physics - MAT --- also see BA/MAT degree option
- Social Studies - MAT
Literacy Education - MSEd degree
- Birth to Grade 2 or Birth to Grade 6
- Grades 1-6
- Grades 7-12