Harpur Featured Stories
by Eric Coker
Launched in the fall of 2014, Harpur Edge helps students prepare for graduate school and careers while providing them with the resources to enrich their college experience.
Harpur Edge, supported by the donations of its founding donors, welcomes students into the academic community and assists them in taking advantage of opportunities in Harpur College and beyond by:
* Connecting students with key resources on and off campus, including Harpur alumni;
* Sponsoring programs and events to enrich the education of students;
* Providing support for student initiatives
The Edge office, located in Library North next to Jazzman's Library Tower Cafe, opened in October 2014. It includes a reception area, a workshop room for small meetings and presentations, a collaboration room and an administrative office. Hours are 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
2014-15 at a glance
The initial year of Harpur Edge featured several key accomplishments, including:
· Alumni initiatives that highlighted mentoring/network opportunities, such as "Lunch and Learn" sessions; a week-long "Liberal Arts to Careers" discussion series; and physician-alumni lectures (the latter two were co-sponsored with Harpur Advising);
· Student initiatives such as guided tours of the Anderson Center for the Performing Arts, the Binghamton University Art Museum, the Nature Preserve and the E.W. Heier Teaching and Research Greenhouse; lunches with Dean Anne McCall; and two "student success" panels;
· Support for signature programs such as the Liberal Arts to Careers Externship (LACE), the Summer Physician Mentoring Program and the Harpur Law Council Public Interest Law Summer Internship;
· Creation of the Harpur Edge Student Support Fund to provide Harpur undergraduates with financial assistance to pursue experiential educational opportunities.
Harpur Edge plans to build on its foundation in 2015–16 by expanding programming for Harpur students and creating a student/alumni mentoring program. The Harpur Edge office was renovated this summer to give a fresh look and improve access for students.
Meet the directors
Harpur Edge Director Wendy Neuberger '81, MBA '84, and new Assistant Director Danielle Britton '06, MAT '08, oversee a student staff that aids Harpur students. Last year's staff included six student associates, a graduate assistant and an academic intern.
Last Updated: 3/1/17