Distinguished Professor Emeritus of History & Sociology
Ph.D., University of Rochester
U.S. labor and social history
Office: LT 1115
My accomplishments and writings, as sketched below, clearly establish my primary scholarly and intellectual interests. The awards that I have received for excellence in teaching attest to my commitment to the classroom as well as to research.
- Hard Work: The Making of Labor History. University of Illinois Press, Spring 2000.
- The State and Labor in Modern America. University of North Carolina Press, 1994 (Cloth and paperback).
- Labor in America, 5th Edition. Harlan Davidson, 1993.
- ed., The New Deal: Conflicting Interpretations and Shifting Perspectives. Garland Publishing, 1992.
- & Stephen Burwood, eds., The Great Depression and the New Deal. Garland Publishing, 1990, 7 volumes.
- We Shall Be All: A History of the Industrial Workers of the World, Second Edition (with a new bibliographical essay). University of Illinois Press, 1988.
- "Big Bill" Haywood. University of Manchester Press, 1987. (U.S. edition, St. Martin's Press, 1987).
- Ed., Labor Leaders in America, (with Warren Van Tine). University of Illinois Press, 1987.
- John L. Lewis: A Biography, abridged edition (with Warren Van Tine). University of Illinois Press, 1986.
- Ed., Workers and Technological Change. Sage Publications, 1985.
- Labor in America (Revised fourth edition of F. R. Dulles). Harlan Davidson, Inc., 1984.
- Imperial Democracy: The United States since 1945 (with Athan Theoharis). Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1983.
- The United States in the Twentieth Century (with Daniel Smith and Athan Theoharis). Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1978 (second printing, 1981).
- John L. Lewis: A Biography (in collaboration with Warren W. Van Tine). Quadrangle/New York Times Book Co., 1977.
- Industrialism and the American Worker, 1865-1920. T.Y. Crowell, 1975 (Second printing, AHM Publishing, 1976). Revised Second Edition, Harlan Davidson, Inc., 1985. Revised Third Edition, 1996.
- Ed., American Labor since the New Deal. Quadrangle Books, 1971.
- We Shall Be All: A History of the Industrial Workers of the World. Quadrangle Books, 1969 (Reprinted in paperback with a new preface in 1974).
- When Workers Organize: New York City in the Progressive Era. University of Massachusetts Press, 1968.
- "Jimmy Carter and the Collapse of the Politics of Productivity," in The Carter Presidency: Policy Choices in the Post-New Deal Order, eds. Gary Fink and Hugh Davis Graham, University Press of Kansas, 1998.
- "The Federal Judiciary, Free Labor, and Equal Rights: A Peculiar Chapter in the History of State and Labor," in The Pullman Strike and the Crisis of the 1890s: Essays on Labor, Politics, and the State, eds. Richard Schneirov, Nick Salvatore, & Shelton Stromquist, University of Illinois Press, 1998.
- Ed. (with G. Arrighi & B. Silver), "Labor Unrest in the World Economy, 1870-1990," Review (Special Issue), XVIII (Winter 1995).
- "Labor Unrest in the United States, 1906-1990," Ibid., 125-136.
- "Starting Out in the Fifties: True Confessions of a Labor Historian," Labor History, 34 (Fall 1993), 473-478.
- "Old Deal, New Deal, Raw Deal: The Evolution of the Liberal State in the Modern United States," Labour/Le Travail, 32 (Fall 1993), 269-77.
- "On Treacherous Terrain: Labor, Politics, and the State in the United States," Comparative Labor History Series, Working Paper No. 3 (Nov. 1993), Center for Labor Studies, University of Washington.
Special Achievements and Awards
- Fulbright Distinguished Chair: The John Adams Professorship in U.S. History, University of Amsterdam, Spring 2000
- University Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1996
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1996
- Guest Professor, University of Salzburg, Austria, Summer Semester, 1993
- Fulbright Distinguished Senior Lectureship, University of Salzburg, Austria, 1988-89
- Director, NEH Summer Seminars for Professionals, 1980, 1981
- Fulbright Senior Lecturership, Tel Aviv University, Israel, 1977-78
- Executive Board, Fernand Braudel Center, 1976-
- Associate Director, Fernand Braudel Center, 1996-
- General Editor, Research Collections on Labor Studies, University Publications of America
- Board of Editorial Advisers, The Samuel Gompers Papers Project
- Member, Philip Taft Labor History Prize Committee
- Member editorial boards: Labor History; Review (Journal of the Fernand Braudel Center)
- Associate Editor, Oxford Companion to American History, Oxford University Press