Ph.D., Binghamton University (2016)
M.A., History, Institute of Modern Turkey located at Bogazici University
B.A., History, Institute of Modern Turkey located at Bogazici University
Late Ottoman and Early Turkish Republic period
2015 - present: Boğaziçi University Archives and Documentation Center, Coordinator Assistant
A Nocturnal History of fin de siècle Istanbul
Distinguished Dissertation Award (in social sciences, Binghamton University)
Adviser: Professor Kent Schull
My research focuses on the emergence and importance of distinctly nocturnal sites of socialization in historic Istanbul—in other words, nightlife in the late Ottoman Istanbul. It involves a serious consideration of many diverse facets of urban life, including technology, administration, policing, commerce, crime, and popular culture. The project depicts the nocturnal city and street life culture not only as a multifunctional space of new meanings, articulated through the quotidian life of ordinary people, but also as a site of the modern Ottoman State's emerging governmental policies centered around competing aims of development, progress and socialization; and greater control, and suppression. Thus, it scrutinizes different components and complexities of nocturnal street life such as the relationship between inhabitants and urban space, criminal cases, social containment of prostitution, configuration of dangerous classes under the discourse of order and disorder, security and insecurity, morality and immorality.
Grants, Fellowships & Awards
- International Scholar of the SHOT (Society for the History of Technology) for 2017-2018.
- Doctoral Fellow, Istanbul Studies Center at Kadir Has University, September 2013- June 2014, Istanbul, Turkey
- The Stavros Niarchos Foundation and the Bodassaki Foundation Scholarship, 2012-2013, (Greek Language Learning Scholarship)
- Doctoral Fellow, Istanbul Research Institute, Turkey, September 2012- February 2013, Istanbul, Turkey
- Dubofsky Research Award, State University of New York at Binghamton, 2011.
- Dissertation Year Fellowship, State University of New York at Binghamton, 2010.
- Kramer Summer Research Grant, State University of New York at Binghamton, 2010.
- Alpha Theta Epsilon Chapter, Binghamton University Chapter, Phi Alpha Theta, the National History Honors Society, 2010.
- Turkish Fellowship, American Research Institute in Turkey, 2007.
- 1st rank in Samsun, 110st in Turkey in Foreign Languages in the 2000 OSYM (National University Entrance Exam of Turkey) (out of approximately two hundred thousand people).
- Bavullardan Kataloglara: Boğaziçi Arşivleri’ne Doğru, eds. Cengiz Kırlı, Nurçin İleri, İstanbul: Boğaziçi Üniversitesi Yayınları, 2015.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Gönül Yakınlıkları, çev. Sadi Irmak (Walter Benjamin, “Goethe’nin Gönül Yakınlıkları” makalesiyle birlikte, eds. Bora Erdağı, Nurçin İleri, İstanbul: Patikakitap, 2014. (Elective Affinities by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, including the translation “Goethe’s Elective Affinities” by Walter Benjamin)
Articles and Essays
- “History of Illumination with the City Gas in the Late Istanbul,” in A Tribute to Donald Quataert: History from Below, eds. Deniz Cenk Demir, Selim Karahasanoglu, Istanbul Bilgi University Press 2016, forthcoming
- “Kent, Gece ve Kadınlar,” (City, Night and Women) Saha, no.3, Nisan 2016, 57-62.
- “Geç Dönem Osmanlı İstanbul'unda Kent ve Sokak Işıkları,” (City and Street Lights in the Late Ottoman Istanbul) Toplumsal Tarih, 254, Şubat 2015, 30-37
- “İstanbul’un Yeraltı Dünyası: Bıçakçı Petri ve Cinayet Destanları” Kampfplatz, Ekim 2014, 7, 57-82. (“Istanbul’s Underworld: Stabber Petri and Murder Ballads”, Kampfplatz, October 2014, 7, 57-82)
- “Rule, Misconduct and Dysfunction: The Police Forces in Theory and Practice in fin de siècle Istanbul,” in Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, March 2014, vol 34, no 1, 147-159.
- “Pangaltı Cinayeti, 1895: Katil Kim” (Murder in Pangaltı, 1895: Who is the killer?) in Edebiyatımızın Üvey Evladı Polisiye, ed. Seval Şahin, İstanbul Bağlam Yayınları, November 2013, 21-29.
- “Tepenin Ardı: Sürüyle Birlikte” with U. Ceren Ünlü, Kampfplatz no 3, June 2013, 245-263.
- “Ne Demiş Uçurumda Açan Çiçek Yurdumsun Ey Uçurum” with Gözde Orhan, Kampfplatz no 4, September 2013, 231-245.
- Review Article, “Rewriting the History of Port-Cities in the Light of Contemporary Global Capitalism,” in New Perspectives on Turkey 47, November 2012, 191-215.
- “On Dokuzuncu Yüzyıl Sonu Sarhoş Polis Hikayeleri” Toplumsal Tarih, no: 194, (Şubat 2010): 85-89. (“Stories of Drunken Police Officers from the 19th Century, Toplumsal Tarih, no:194, (February 2010): 85-89.)
- Ussama Makdisi, “Artillery of Heaven: American Missionaries and the Failed Conversion of the Middle East” in New Perspectives on Turkey, No. 41, 2009, 264-268.
- “Bergama Köylü Hareketi ve Sosyal Sorumluluk Projeleri: Altın Madeni Bergama’da Neleri Değiştirdi?” Arredamento Mimarlik, 2008, 73-77. (Bergama Peasant Movement and Social Responsibility Projects: What did the gold mine change in Bergama?” Arredamento Mimarlik, 2008.)
- "Bir Serginin Düşündürdükleri: 68'e Bugunden Bakmak," Mesele Kitap Dergisi, no: 10, Ekim 2007, 29-32. (“What an Exhibition Makes You Feel: Looking to the 68s from Today” Mesele Kitap Dergisi, no: 10, (October, 2007).)(coauthor: Mehmet Ertan)
Invited Panels And Workshops
- “Allure of the Light, Fear of the Dark: “What was a traveler at night” in fin de siècle Istanbul/Işığın Cazibesi, Karanlığın Korkusu: 19. Yüzyıl Sonu İstanbul’unda Geceleyin Bir Gezgin Neydi?”, Sensory Histories of Place/Mekanın Duyusal Tarihi, workshop at RCAC/ANAMED çalıştay, 01-02/04/2016.
- “Coal-gas Illumination as a Contested Terrain in fin de siècle Istanbul” A Workshop on Ottoman Municipalities: Governing the Late Ottoman Cities”, İstanbul Şehir University, Center for Urban Studies, 6-7 November 2015.
- “City as a Crime Scene: Fear and Anxiety in fin de siècle Istanbul,” in workshop “Security, Crime, Punishment, and Prisons in the Late Ottoman Empire,” organized by Ufuk Adak, ZMO, Berlin, 9 June 2015
- "City Lights of Istanbul in the Late Ottoman Empire" in workshop "Dark histories: nighttime and nightlife in the Ottoman and Post-Ottoman Mediterranean" organized by Daniel MacArthur-Seal, British Institute at Ankara, 10 April 2015
- “Son Dönemde Osmanlı İstanbul’unda Gece ve Sokaklar” Kocaeli Kültür Kolektifi Derneği, 5 June 2014.
- “Delight or Disenchantment: History of Illumination with City Gas in Late Ottoman Istanbul”, Istanbul Studies Center, Kadir Has University, 20.2.2014.
- “Pangaltı Cinayeti, 1895” in “Geç Osmanlı Döneminde Arşiv Belgelerinde Suç Hikayeleri” in “Edebiyatımızın Üvey Evladı Polisiye” organized by Mimar Sinan University and Yıldız Teknik University Turkish Languages and Literature Department, 27-28 November 2012.
- “Industrial Light and Its Influences on Istanbul Streets and Public Life during the Late Ottoman Period” in lecture series `Reclaiming Istanbul: Public Spaces in Past and Present” Orient-Institut Istanbul, 21 November, 2012
- “Artificial Lighting as a New Urban Technology: Lower Class Vice and Elite Fear in fin de siècle Istanbul” to be presented in the Pre-Organized Panel “Materiality of Social Transformation in Egypt and the Ottoman Empire, 1875-1945” by Ceyda Karamürsel and Shebab Ismail in the Middle East Studies Association (MESA) Annual Meeting 2011, Washington, USA (12/03/2011).
Conferences and Presentations
- “Son Dönem Osmanlı İstanbul’unda Suça Bakmak: Fotoğraf ve Kriminal Fizyonomi” Osmanlı İstanbul’u Uluslararası Sempozyum, İstanbul 29 Mayıs Üniversitesi, 25-26 Mayıs 2015
- “Regulating Nocturnal Conviviality in fin de siècle Istanbul: City Regulation versus Vicious Pleasures” 21st CIEPO Symposium in Budapest, Hungary 7-11 October 2014.
- “Sensing Nocturne: Popular Perceptions of City Gas Lighting in fin de siècle İstanbul” 13th International Congress of Ottoman Social and Economic History (ICOSEH) Universidad de Alcala, Spain 1-5 October 2013.
- “Son Dönem Osmanlı Başkenti’nde İstintaknamelere Göre Polis Hikayeleri” “Lisanüstü Sempozyumu: IV, Osmanlı ve Cumhuriyet Tarihi Araştırmaları” Yıldız Üniversitesi, 13 Mayıs 2013.
- “Maintenance or Subversion of Order: Policing the Police at the turn-of-the-twentieth century İstanbul” 20th CIEPO Symposium in Rethymno, Greece, 27 June- 1 July 2012
- “The Spectacle of Women Experiences on Istanbul Streets in fin de siècle Istanbul: Social-spatial Containment or Social-spatial Exclusion?” 12th International Congress of Ottoman Social and Economic History (ICOSEH), Retz, Austria, 10-16 July 2011 (coauthor: Seçil Yılmaz)
- “Nocturnal Security in fin de siècle Istanbul,” Public Space and Urban Experiences in Ottoman Cities, Tenth International Conference on Urban History City & Society in European History Ghent, 1st-4th September 2010
- “In-Between Legality and Criminality: The Stories of “Drunken” Policemen in fin de siècle Istanbul,” Great Lakes Ottomanist Workshop - Journée d’étude GÉTO Université du Québec à Montréal, 12-14 March 2010
- “The Construction of Nocturnal Capital City of the Ottoman Empire at the 19th century,” Urban Affairs Association 39th Annual Meeting: Contesting and Sustaining the City: Neighborhood, Region, or World, Chicago, March 4–7, 2009
- “The Visibility and the Reception of Bergama Peasant Movement,” The Fifth International Conference on New Directions in the Humanities, American University of Paris, Paris, July 18, 2007
- “The Illumination of Istanbul Streets at the Turn of the Century,” Historical Continuities, Political Responsibilities: Unsettling Conceptual Blind-Spots in Ottoman and Turkish Studies, New York University and CUNY, New York, 6 May 2007
- “Kitle Medyası ve Bergama Köylü Hareketi’nin Görünürlüğü,” Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi ve Siyasi İlimler Konferansı, 2006
- “Bergama Köylü Hareketinin Kültürel ve Ekonomik Dinamikleri,” Kocaeli İşçi Filmleri Festivali, 2006