Important Dates for Class Assignments, Fall 2016(important dates for you to remember but not the full assignments for the semester)
For every discussion section meeting with your TA, you are asked to submit a short written response (1 or 2 paragraphs) about the assigned readings for the week and pose several questions (which might be used for class discussion). This must be turned into your TA each week. Attendance at the sections is required. In addition, at each Friday sections, your TA will pose one historical question; together, you will discuss the evidence that can be used to answer the question. This way, you will develop good skills in using multiple sources as evidence for historical interpretations.
The Monday before sections, we will be emailing you the reading assignments for that Friday’s discussion. I have set up the readings until the first mid-term.
Readings for Discussion Sections and Exam Dates
- September 2: Discussion sections set up list-serve as quickly as possible. Reading assignment: combining text and primary evidence. ext is Tignor, Worlds Together, Worlds Apart and primary evidence is Andrea and Overfield, The Human Record hereafter A/O.
Text, pp. 358-68 and A/O, Prologue, Primary Sources and How to Read Them (please read the prologue noted as P-1(that is prologue page 1 and read through P-17.
- September 9: Reading assignment, text, pp. 368-89; 394-401; Abu-Lughod (all), and also A/O, pp. 64-75, perceptions of difference.
- September 16: Reading assignment: text, pp. 405-437 and 542-543. A/O, pp. 24-35, 40-48,53-57; 60-63
- September 23: Reading Assignment: text, pp. 389-94; 440-476; A/O, pp. 5-16; 75-79; 82-88
- September 30: Reading Assignment: text, pp. 476-504; 507-515; A/O, pp. 122-27; 143-46; prepare for first mid-term exam
- October 5: FIRST MID-TERM EXAM
- October 14: FIRST MAP QUIZ
- November 7: SECOND MID-TERM EXAM
- November 18: SECOND MAP QUIZ
- November 21: Internet Assignment is due
- December 5: languages across the curriculum presentations
- December 8: review for final exam
- TBA: final exam (two hours) at a time scheduled by the registrar