Registering for Courses

Course Selection for Your First Semester

If you are a freshman, you should register for an introductory psychology, introductory sociology or other introductory social science course taken from either anthropology, economics, geography, history or political science. You should also register for two courses that will meet your General Education requirements and, finally, an elective. Most freshmen register for 16 credits; however, 12 credits is considered a full-time load.

Many freshman feel more comfortable carrying this lighter load as they adjust to their first semester of college life.

If you are entering as a full-time transfer student, you should take HDEV 200 in your first semester, an initial course in each of the three major curriculum areas and additional coursework appropriate to your program and educational objectives. If you are a part-time student, select a course or two that will help you make the most direct connection to your educational objectives and that fits one or two of the three major curriculum areas. HDEV 200 must be taken within your first 12 to 16 credits to enable you to complete your program requirements in a timely and logical fashion.

Registration for current students

Matriculated undergraduate students have the opportunity to register for courses for the upcoming semester. Prior to the registration period, you should run a copy of your Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) report. Read this information carefully, considering the requirements relating to your educational and personal goals, career interests and graduate school plans. If you have questions, you are encouraged to consult with your adviser. Bring your DARS report with you whenever you meet with an adviser.

Before registering for courses, you should construct a proposed class schedule. If you are a full-time student, you may enroll for a maximum of 18 credits each semester. Information to assist you in choosing course meeting times, section numbers, course numbers and prerequisites are listed in the Schedule of Classes. Pay special attention to any "notes" that are listed for courses. Descriptions of courses are listed in the Binghamton University Bulletin and course descriptions for the upcoming semester are available on the Web at

You should not elect courses that are offered at the same time because the registration system will not schedule them.

Course Overload
If you wish to take more than 18 credits in a semester, you must request to do so the semester prior to the one in which you wish to overload. A copy of the Overload Request Form can be picked up in the Peer Advising Office or downloaded here Overload Petition (.pdf, 46 kb). Students who wish to overload must meet one of the following requirements:

  • graduation in that semester
  • a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or better
  • extraordinary circumstances

The completed form should be returned to the department office and will be acted on by the academic adviser.

Adding Courses

Once the semester begins, you made add courses to your schedule, via online registration, until the add deadline (usually the end of the second week of classes.) Undergraduate students needing to add courses after that deadline must submit an Undergraduate Late Add or Drop Petition.

Approval is needed from the class instructor and the CCPA academic adviser. If approved, you must pay a $20 late-add fee before the Registrar's Office processes the form. The Petition process begins here:

Dropping Courses

The deadline for drop deleting a course from your schedule is ten days into the semester. The deadline for withdrawing from a course is approximately the middle of the semester. (See the specific dates in the University Academic Calendar) If you need to drop a course after the deadline, you must follow the same procedures outlined above for late addition of courses. Students who are dropping all courses for a semester should withdraw from the University.

Major Requirement Waiver/Substitutions

Use the General Academic Petition (.pdf, 37.4 kb) when you are requesting a waiver of, substitution of or exception to a major requirement. This includes requesting that a course be counted out of a category, a change be made in the evaluation of your department requirements (e.g. upper-department courses) or you're taking more than eight credits of internship or independent study. You should submit the completed petition and signed attachment to the Department of Human Development Office. The petition will be reviewed and acted on by the HD Academic Standards Committee, which meets monthly throughout the fall and spring semesters.

Petition to Take Courses at Another Institution

Complete the Petition to Take Courses at Another Institution Form (.pdf, 91 kb) and attach it to the course description(s) for the classes you wish to take. Submit the completed petition to the Department of Human Development Office, UDC-407.

Once a petition has been processed, a copy of the petition will be returned to you. Be sure to list accurate address information (including zip code) on your petition. All forms can be picked up in the Peer Advising Office. If you have questions, contact the peer advisers in UDC-413.

Last Updated: 10/17/14