Workers' Compensation

If you, as an employee at Binghamton University, sustain an on-the-job injury or illness, you are covered under workers' compensation and are entitled to medical treatment at no cost. Wage reimbursement procedures vary.  Please contact Human Resources for information on your specific situation and follow the procedure outlined below.


(Work Related Accidents and Workers' Compensation)

Employee's Role:

  1. Get first aid or other treatment.
  2. Use ambulance (Harpur's Ferry 777-3333) if you need transport in an emergency situation.
  3. Notify your supervisor as soon as possible if you have a work-related injury.
  4. Inform medical provider that you believe injuries are work-related and send medical information to the State Insurance Fund. Do NOT pay your doctor or the hospital.
  5. Call ARS (Accident Reporting System): 1-888-800-0029, if you have medical expenses or lost time. The ARS Call Center hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday and the Call Center is closed on State holidays. Callers may leave a message after hours and on weekends and holidays. A Call Center Representative will return their call the next business day in order to report the injury or illness and obtain an ARS incident number.
  6. Prescriptions should be filled without a copay by pharmacies by contacting Express Scripts (866-533-7011). When submitting a prescription, you should give the pharmacy the following information
    • The ARS incident number
    • GROUP is: NYSIF
    You will receive a permanent ID card and packet from Express Scripts within 10 days of NYSIF's confirmation of the accident.
  7. Complete the accident report (s). You will need to complete a form CS-13 and an Employee Accident Report (Part I. Numbered 1-22) as soon as possible. Delays in reporting may adversely affect your claim.
  8. Supervisor sends original completed accident report to Employee Benefits and a copy to Environmental Health & Safety (Health Services Building IN-101A).
  9. If you are unable to report for work as scheduled subsequent to the accident, be sure to notify your supervisor and let them know that your absence is the result of your occupational injury.
  10. Supervisor should notify Human Resources.
  11. Return to work as soon as you are able. You will be required to provide a note from your physician authorizing your return. Any return to work with restrictions will require permission from both Employee Benefits and your supervisor.

Things to remember after the accident:

  • Keep HR and the State Insurance Fund updated with medical information, address changes, lost time and return to work.
  • Keep your supervisor informed.
  • Attend hearings, if necessary, and submit to medical examinations when requested.
  • Submit satisfactory medical documentation.
  • Contact HR before returning to work, follow return to work procedures.


PHONE:  607-777-4939

FAX:  607-777-4947

PHONE: 607-777-2193

FAX: 607-777-4947

Supervisor's Role:

  • Assist employee in getting immediate treatment when necessary.
  • Assist employee in completing the accident report and calling ARS.

Other Information:

  • Accident must be directly associated with work activities.
  • Our insurance carrier for worker's compensation (work related accidents) is:
New York State Insurance Fund
Glendale Technology Park
2001 Perimeter Road East
Endicott, NY 13760
ATTN: Unit 283
Phone: (607) 741-3900
Fax: (607) 741-3918

Additional Notes:

  • Physical Facilities is notified by Environmental Health & Safety of any accident that involves campus grounds; they in turn inspect the area and take appropriate action to alleviate the situation.
  • IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THE PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED you should contact Human Resources Office located on the second floor, Couper Administration (AD-244).


  • You may obtain accident report forms from your supervisor, your department secretary, the Human Resources office or on our Forms page.

Accident Reporting Procedures

Accident or Injury Reporting Form CS-13

Confidential Medical Statement for Work-Related Disability

Employee Accident Report

Frequently Asked Questions

Click here for a list of frequently asked workers compensation/accident reporting questions.


Return to top of the page

Sara DeClemente-Hammoud

Associate Director of Human Resources

(607) 777-4939

Allison Johnson

Personnel Assistant

(607) 777-2193

Last Updated: 2/26/15