Renter's Insurance

Renter's insurance will cover a loss of property in case of fire, flood, theft etc. Even though you may not own the place you live in, it is always advisable you get insurance protection. While your landlord might have insurance, it will only protect the building and not your belongings.

What Steps Should I Take to Get a Policy?

1. Locate insurance companies that offer renter's insurance by searching on the Internet. If you have a car, check with the company that insures your car to see if they also offer renter's insurance.

2. Contact insurance agents and ask about standard renter's insurance policies. Obtain estimates for those policies.

3. Make sure you compare quotes and coverage levels from different insurance companies and purchase the policy that best suits your needs and budget. Note: Premium rates can vary considerably, depending on the age and location of your rental unit, the crime rate in your area and other factors. The links below contain renter's insurance information from some of the insurance providers:

a. Haylor, Freyer and Coon
b. Metlife
c. Liberty Mutual
d. Progressive
e. Nationwide
f. StateFarm
g. Amica
h. 21st Century
i. Safeco

You can also find more information regarding Renter's Insurance on the SUNY Buffalo website here.

Last Updated: 1/8/16