Driving in the United States

International students may drive in the United States using their foreign driver's license. A valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS. You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a resident of New York State .

If your driver's license is not written in English you will want to arrange for an International Driving Permit before you leave your home country. The International Driving Permit will be in English, so confusion will be avoided if you are stopped by US law enforcement while driving in the United States.

You can read more about driving in the United States here.

Last Updated: 11/5/14