Renting a Car
Another choice to consider is renting a car for the specific period you plan to travel. While this will not allow you to have a car available at all times, it will provide you with transportation when you need it and may cost far less in the long run. Cars may be rented by the day, week, or month from companies that are listed in the yellow telephone pages under "Automobile Rental and Leasing."
In order to rent a car as a foreign visitor you will:
- Need an international driver's license or a driver's license from your home country and an International Driving Permit
- Be asked to pay in advance a portion, if not all, of the anticipated costs
- Be required to pay with cash, with a check from a United States bank, or with a major credit card. Most companies will require a major credit card. Your check will have to be approved by the office from which you are renting the car. Costs of car rental vary from city to city and from company to company and will be based on the size of the car you rent and the time you will keep it. A modest additional charge will cover your insurance
- Need to be 25 years or older (21 for some dealers)
- On a day-to-day rental, a car will cost (without insurance) $14 and up for a used car and $40 and up for a new car. A month's rental of a car will average around $575 (not including insurance or a security deposit). For a smaller car, prices will range between $300 and $600 per month (not including insurance or a security deposit).
Most companies have offices in the main cities of a region and at large airports as well. (Several rental car companies are located around the Greater Binghamton area and at the Greater Binghamton Airport. You can check the Broome County Phone Book, or the company's website to learn a company's location.)
Rates for airport pick-up of a rental car tend to be lower. Some companies will offer a free service to pick you up from your location (Enterprise, for example), but, generally, the free pick up service is not available from car rental offices located at an airport.
Most companies also participate in "one-way" rentals in which a vehicle can be rented
in one city and returned to the company's office in a different city. Some one-way
rentals are assessed a one-time drop charge or mileage charge in addition to the rental
Listing of Major Car Rental Companies
||(607) 729-6001 2534 Airport Rd, Johnson City, NY 13790|
||(607) 798-8361 2534 Airport Rd, Johnson City, NY 13790|
||(607) 797-0900 3217 Stewart Rd, Vestal, NY 13850|
||(607) 729-2406 2520 Vestal Pkwy E, Vestal, NY 13850|