New York State Tax Forms
In addition to filing federal tax forms, many international students will need to file New York State tax forms. You must file a New York State Tax Return if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You were a New York State resident and you filed a U.S. tax return form (other than Form 8843) for 2016; or
- You had New York State income greater than $4000 in 2016; or
- You want a refund of New York State taxes withheld from your paycheck in excess of what you actually owed.
To determine whether you are considered a New York State resident for tax purposes:
- Full-time undergraduate and graduate international students who are considered non-residents for federal tax purposes are also considered non-residents for New York State tax purposes.
- If you are a visiting scholar or postdoctoral associate/fellow, OR an international
student who has been in the U.S. for over five years, you are considered a resident
for New York State income tax purposes if you answer “Yes” to each of these questions:
- Did you live in an on-campus apartment, or an apartment or house off-campus, in New York State during the 2016 calendar year?
- Did you maintain (rent) the apartment/house for more than 11 months during the 2016 calendar year?
- Did you spend more than 183 days in New York State during the 2016 calendar year?
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, you are considered a non-resident for New York State tax purposes.
Visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website for help in determining whether you should file as a resident or non-resident. Remember – you must complete the federal income tax form BEFORE filing a state tax form!
Glacier Tax Prep does NOT provide support for state tax forms. However, after you have finished your federal tax return, if you are also required to file a state tax return, you can leave Glacier Tax Prep and “jump over” to Sprintax to have assistance in the preparation of your state tax return. Sprintax is an online tax preparation software product that can assist in the preparation of state tax returns for all states in which a tax return is required:
- When finished with the federal tax return, IF, based on the information entered into Glacier Tax Prep, it appears that you are also required to file a state tax return, you will have the opportunity to click on a link to continue on to Sprintax for assistance in preparing the state tax return.
- If you choose to continue to Sprintax, you will log out of Glacier Tax Prep, create a separate Sprintax registration, and pay a separate fee directly to Sprintax.
Sprintax offers on-line software that can be used to file your state tax returns as a non-resident. Live chat and toll-free assistance is available 24/7. There is a fee associated with using this service.
It’s important to note that Arctic International LLC and Sprintax are two separate legal entities with separate responsibilities: Arctic International LLC provides Glacier Tax Prep to prepare a FEDERAL tax return; Sprintax prepares a STATE tax return. Neither is responsible for the other’s activities.