Check List For Students Who Are Leaving
For those of you who are leaving Binghamton this semester and not enrolling for the next semester,, ISSS-BU News offers this handy check list for your use.
CHECKLIST OF THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE LEAVING BINGHAMTON PERMANENTLY AT THE END OF THE SEMESTER:
- Fulfill your SEVIS requirements by notifying the Office of International Student and Scholar Services of your plans. Complete the departure form on the web at: http://www.binghamton.edu/isss/travel/departure-form.html
- Close all bank accounts
- Notify newspapers, credit card companies and other home delivery services of the change of address and request final billing statement.
- If you are on a University or Research Foundation payroll and do not have direct deposit, make arrangements with the appropriate payroll office to have your check(s) forwarded to you. Also, leave an address for that office to mail you your W-2 form next January for Income Tax Filing Purposes. Do the same with Sodexo Dining Services if you are a Sodexo employee.
- Make sure that all your academic responsibilities are completed.
- Go on-line to http://bubrain.binghamton.edu and in the My Accounts section, select “Student Accounts Menu.” Click on the “QuikPAY” Student Payments Link. Pay any outstanding bills, otherwise you will not receive your grades.
- Unsubscribe from any e-mail lists if you will not be able to access your Binghamton e-mail account after your departure. Or, change your subscriber e-mail so that you can continue to receive messages.
- Contact shipping companies for best rates, make arrangements for shipment in a timely manner
- Sell miscellaneous furniture, appliances, computers, automobiles by placing an advertisement in the Classified Section of the Press and Sun Bulletin 607-798-1141 http://www.pressconnects.com and click on "buy/sell" which can be found in the banner at the top of the web page
IF YOU LIVE OFF-CAMPUS:
- Give 30-day written notice to your landlord with the date that you will be vacating your apartment.
- Be sure that your roommates are aware of your plans.
- Arrange for an apartment walk through inspection with your landlord
- Agree on a date to receive your security/damage deposit refund, request it in writing.
- Review your lease agreement and its stipulations on termination of the lease prior to the walk through to avoid last minute misunderstandings.
- Cancel all utility accounts and newspaper subscriptions
NYSEG 800 572-1111 http://www.nyseg.com Mon-Fri 7am-9pm
Verizon (if you have a “land-line” in your apartment) 890-7100 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm http://www.verizon.com
Time Warner Cable 798-8001 http://www.timewarnercable.com/
Press and Sun Bulletin 798-1161 http://www.pressconnects.com
- Leave a forwarding address at the local Post Office governing your zip code region. http://www.usps.com/
IF YOU LIVE ON-CAMPUS:
- Leave a forwarding address at the Campus Post Office
- Cancel your telephone agreement with Telecommunications and pay any outstanding phone bills.
- Turn in your keys and make the appropriate departure arrangements with your RA or RD.