University Communications about Technology Maintenance Days
The university holds two Technology Maintenance Days (policy) per calendar year, during the spring and fall semesters. Maintenance days are noted on the academic calendar. This document outlines the communication process and channels associated with maintenance days to ensure that the university community is aware of planned outages and can properly plan for those outages. What can YOU do on Maintenance Day?
Maintenance to be completed:
ITS staff will determine what maintenance will occur during a particular maintenance day and identify services that will experience disruption and or not be available. The university community will be informed of planned outages at least 12 weeks prior to each Technology Maintenance Day.
Parties who will be informed in advance:
- If applicable, various "power users" will be informed of a planned outage prior to the 12 week notification period.
- Other parties informed include but are not limited to the University Police, Human Resources, Physical Facilities, the Business Office, Admissions, Research, Athletics, Academic Affairs, Communications & Marketing, a representative from the ITC, the Libraries, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, Deans and Associate Deans.
- Planned outages associated with maintenance days are also shared with the Senior Officers Group and the Division of Operations management team.
Communication channels and timing:
- Dateline, BLine and the university portal will be used to communicate about each maintenance day.
- Dateline and BLine messages will appear at least 12 weeks in advance of each maintenance day and will include information about services that will be disrupted and or not available. Messages will appear bi-weekly and then twice a week in the two weeks leading up to the maintenance day.
- A banner will appear on the university portal that will launch 2 weeks prior to each scheduled maintenance day.
- The System Status page on the ITS website will also be updated.
Follow up to campus:
- Once the maintenance on the campus systems is complete, a notification will go out via a Dateline Addition and a BLine Addition to inform users.
- The banner on the portal will also be removed.
- The System Status Page on the ITS website will also be updated.
Logan Robinson, Communication Manager, ITS
For technical assistance:
ITS Help Desk