Windows Operating System Guidelines
Important Information about Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 End of Support:
Microsoft announced they will terminate support for Windows XP and Office 2003 on April 8, 2014.
What does "end of support" mean for you if your PC is running Windows XP and Office 2003?
- After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide automatic fixes, updates or online technical support assistance for Windows XP and Office 2003. These include security updates that can protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware and other malicious software.
- Windows XP will continue to start and run as usual after April 8, 2014.
- Information Technology Services (ITS) will continue to support Windows XP and Office 2003 for University owned PCs until July 31, 2014. ITS will do its best to resolve any issues you might encounter with Windows XP.
- You may encounter compatibility issues with other third party software applications.
- You cannot upgrade Internet Explorer beyond version 8 on a Windows XP system..
What does ITS recommend?
- If your department has funding, purchase a new PC with a current operating system. If you would like to request a price quote for a new PC, contact the ITS Help Desk at 607-777-6420 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ITS strongly recommends that you contact us to discuss your computing needs before making a purchase. We will provide attractive pricing through state contracts with our preferred vendors.
- PCs purchased from local or online retailers don't offer the deep educational discounts that are available through the State of New York.
- Please note that certain Windows Operating Systems like WIndows 8 (home version) and Windows 7 (starter or home versions) cannot easily connect to the Binghamton University secure administrative network which is required for work.
- Continue to run Windows XP and make sure your machine is current with all updates and patches.
- If you're running Office 2003, consider upgrading to Office 2010. The ITS Help Desk can loan the Office Professional Plus 2010 cd to you with proper identification. There is no cost to upgrade Office. Here are the system requirements for Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.
If you have any questions, contact the ITS Help Desk at 607-777-6420 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Windows Operating System Recommendation -
- ITS currently supports and recommends Windows 7 Professional for all University owned machines.
- ITS is currently testing Windows 8 Professional and has determined that Windows 8 Professional does not offer a compelling business reason for upgrading to that version of Windows at this time. Check back periodically for updates.
Other Windows Operating Systems Information -
- Microsoft has already discontinued support for Windows 2000, NT, Me, 98, and 95.