Information for Students
Be among a small group of Harpur students selected to participate in the Liberal Arts to Careers Externship!
Selected students will be matched with a professional for a shadowing experience over winter or summer break. Students and sponsors meet three to five times over the break, for at least one half day per session. The program is structured to ensure opportunity for success, but flexible to meet the needs of each individual pair. Students will be required to participate in an orientation prior to break. Following orientation, each pair will establish goals for their time together and plan logistics for their shadowing experience. At the conclusion of the shadowing sessions, students and sponsors will participate in an evaluation of the program, which will help identify areas for program improvements.
Download the information PowerPoint show (PDF download)
Click here for a list of Winter 2017 Externships (PDF Download)
Key Dates for LACE Winter 2017:
- Information Sessions:
- Tuesday, October 11, 12:30 pm in Harpur Edge Office - Library North 1105
- Thursday, October 13, 6:00 pm in C-4 Room C
- Tuesday, October 18, 6 pm in Hinman Commons
- Wednesday, October 19, 12:00 pm in Harpur Edge Office - Library North 1105
- Friday, October 21, 12:30 pm in Fleishman Center - UU133A
Application due: October 27, 2016
- Interviews will occur starting October 31
- Student notification of match by November 17
- Externships will occur between January 2 and 13, 2017
How will students benefit?
- Explore careers and work environments and test interests
- Observe day-to-day activities and ask questions to learn more about a potential career field
- Understand important competencies needed for career success
- Gain exposure to the expectations and culture of organizations, as well as workplace dynamics
- Develop relationships with professionals and build your professional network
- Acquire marketable skills
- Learn and practice appropriate business etiquette
- Apply skills learned in college both in and out of the classroom to real life experiences
- Make informed choices about electives, internships, minors and other academic options during junior and senior year
How might students spend their time?
The sponsor and student will jointly shape the experience. Depending upon the particular site, you may be a participant, an observer, or both. Activities might include:
- Observe work being performed by shadowing sponsor and/or co-workers
- Speak with sponsor about their career field, career path, job responsibilities, experiences
- Attend staff or committee meetings or presentations
- Take a tour of the organization
- Participate in informational interviews with staff members to understand the organization, industry and future trends, and career paths within this field.
- Attend a training program for new employees
- Complete or assist with a sampling of work assignment
- Observe client interactions
- Have lunch with sponsor and/or co-workers
- Meet Human Resources staff to understand what they look for in college graduates
- Meet with Binghamton alumni who work there
- Meet young, recently hired staff to understand their experiences
Harpur students in good academic standing with a minimum 2.75 GPA who have completed a minimum of one year of college are eligible to apply. Interested students must:
- Apply on hireBING (posting will be available end of September) and upload a well-written, professional resume and cover letter, explaining why you want to participate in LACE. The cover letter should be addressed to:
Ms. Danielle Britton
Assistant Director, Harpur Edge
- Student recommendation form (Word download) must be completed by faculty or staff by October 27 and emailed to email@example.com or submitted in an envelope with reference signature across the seal to Harpur Edge office, LN 1105, Attention: Danielle Britton.
- Students will be directed from the hireBING listing to another web site to select top 5 externship choices.
- All application documents (resume, cover letter, externship choices and recommendation form) must be received by October 27. Applicants will receive an email if they are being invited for an interview. The email will explain how to schedule an interview time.
- If you are accepted, and plan on applying for the Harpur Edge Support Fund, fill out the application here.
Students will be selected based on evaluation of cover letter, resume, recommendation and interview, along with the availability of a sponsor match based on career interest and geographic preference. Students are responsible for their own transportation. Students will not receive academic credit or pay.
The Matching Process
Students will be matched to sponsors based on interests and availability, as well as geographic locations (visit the Harpur Edge Student Support Fund page for information on traveling outside of your geographic location). Preference will be given to current and rising sophomores. Students will be notified of their acceptance into the program and will receive information about their sponsor during the mandatory orientation.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT LACE :
Liberal Arts to Careers Externship is sponsored by: