Master of Music Degree
Binghamton's M.M. program offers advanced student composers a practice-based graduate program featuring unique performance opportunities with some of the world's finest ensembles and soloists. Current and incoming Master's students have the opportunity to work with, write pieces for, and enjoy performances from the following:
Momenta String Quartet: Praised by the New York Times for its “focused, fluid performance” and by Sequenza 21 for its “fire, fantasy and absolute musical commitment,” the Momenta Quartet has premiered over 100 works in the past eight years and has collaborated with over 80 living composers.
Roomful of Teeth: Grammy-winning vocal project dedicated to mining the expressive potential of the human voice.
yarn|wire: Cutting-edge quartet of two pianists and two percussionists hailed as “mesmerizing” by the New York Times.
Lontano Ensemble (London, UK): One of London’s premiere new music ensembles, Lontano has presented concerts at the BBC Proms, Royal Festival Hall and Barbican, and has toured Europe and the Americas extensively.
Jacqueline Horner-Kwiatek: One of the country’s leading vocalists specializing in new music, Grammy-winner Horner-Kwiatek is a member of the Billboard-topping quartet Anonymous 4.
New Morse Code: A unique and adventurous percussion-cello duo committed to the work of young composers.
National Academy of Chinese Theatre Arts (Beijing, China): Interdisciplinary collaboration with the world’s leading academy of Chinese Opera performance.
Tri-Cities Opera: Opera Scenes with professional opera company
Binghamton University Symphony Orchestra & Wind Symphony: Reading sessions and workshops of new orchestral works
• Assistantships available for M.M. students
• Students have the opportunity to gain university-level teaching experience at the
Master's level, making them particularly competitive for subsequent programs
• Very low tuition and expenses
• Award-winning faculty specializing in composition, contemporary opera, 20th- and 21st century
music studies, early music, and music cognition
• Individualized, one-on-one studio instruction and frequent masterclasses
• Seminars in contemporary music, orchestration, film/video-game music, and new media
• Close relationship with Binghamton's renowned Opera Performance Program
• Collaboration opportunities with Departments of Theatre, Dance and Cinema
• Easy and affordable connections to New York City
Application Deadline and Details
• February 1, 2017 (full funding consideration)