Campus Internationalization

Binghamton University has made a strategic commitment to enable students to explore and appreciate the global and international dimensions of knowledge and of cultures. Our faculty conduct research which is recognized around the world and have created courses and academic programs with international dimensions in many fields.
The University's efforts to foster a community of scholars and students who celebrate the diversity of its members and learn from each other have earned us wide acclaim, notably through several major national awards for our campus-wide internationalization. Each year, Binghamton University celebrates International Education Week and highlights the accomplishments of its comprehensive approach to internationalization.
The next collaborative upcoming event to promote campus internationalization is the Passport Drive! Read more:
Passport Drive
Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014
Old Union Hall
3-7 p.m.
**Same day and right next door to the Study Abroad Fair**
 What you need to bring:
When applying for your new Passport Book or Passport Card, you'll need the following documentation:
  1. Proof of U.S. citizenship
• If born in the United States, you'll need an original or certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised or embossed seal. If you do not have an original birth certificate, contact the Town or Village Clerk in which you were born or the agency that handles vital records in the State in which you were born.
• If born outside the United Stated, you'll need a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship or Report of Birth Abroad.
• Hospital records alone are not acceptable as proof of citizenship.
2. Proof of identity
• Valid driver's license (If an out of state ID secondary ID must be presented). Please bring a copy of your driver's license - this is attached to the application.
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of Citizenship
• Government Employee ID Card
3. Two recent color photographs
** On-the-spot photographs will be available for $7.00!
• If you choose to bring your own photographs, the photos must meet passport specifications. It's recommended that you do not take the photographs yourself.
Your photograph must be:
• In color
• 2 x 2 inches in size
• Printed on thin, photo-quality paper
• Taken within the past six months, showing current appearance
• Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
• Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
• Taken in normal street attire:
o Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily
o Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hair line
o If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture
o Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
• Articles worn for religious or medical reasons should be accompanied by a statement to that effect.
4. Fees - Please bring exact cash, check or money order
FEE TYPE Passport Fee as of 6/30/2010
To: U.S. Department of State 
Execution Fee as of 6/30/2010
To: Broome County Clerk
Fee Total as of 6/30/2010
Passport Book
Age 16 and Over
$110 $25 / $32 (w/ photo) $135 - $142
Passport Book
Age 15 and Under
$80 $25 / $32 (w/ photo) $105 - $112
Passport Card
Age 16 and Over
$30 $25 / $32 (w/ photo) $55 - $62
Passport Card
Age 15 and Under
$15 $25 / $32 (w/ photo) $40 - $47

*The $25 Execution Fee is not charged when adults 16 and over with fully valid passport books apply for the passport card using a DS-82 form.
Special rules regarding children under age 16
  • To submit an application for a child under age 16, both parents or the child's legal guardian(s) must appear and present evidence of the child's US citizenship, evidence of the child's relationship to parents/guardian(s) and parental identification.
  • If only one parent appears, you must also submit one of the following: second parent's notarized written statement consenting to passport issuance for the child, primary evidence of sole authority to apply or a written statement explaining the second parent's unavailability.
Expedited passports
If you require your passport application to be expedited, you'll need to pay the following additional fees:
  • $60 to the U.S. Department of State for expedited service
  • $20.85 to the Broome County Clerk for mailing expenses to Passport Services
  • $12.85 to the U.S. Department of State for return mail (passport BOOK only)
Passport renewals
If your most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago, you were over 16 years old at the time of issuance and have not had a name change and can submit your most recent passport; you may be eligible to renew your passport by mail.
For further information, you can visit the U.S. Department of State's website at or contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

Last Updated: 9/4/14