Harpur Law Council Public Interest Law Summer Internship
This summer internship program gives Binghamton University juniors and seniors the opportunity to:
- Experience the practice of law in the public sector.
- Make informed decisions about the choice of a legal career, based upon their own experience.
- Receive financial support to defray living expenses during the internship.
- Establish professional connections with Harpur Law Council member attorneys and other BU law alumni.
The application process is highly competitive and, for summer 2017, seven internships will be offered throughout the Metro NY area, Buffalo, NY, Rochester, NY and the Washington, D.C. area. Tentatively, an eighth internship will be offered in Whippany, NJ.
Selected students receive stipends ranging from $2,500 to $4,000 plus one credit.
Where will the Internship take place?
Seven sites are confirmed for the summer 2017. The sites include:
- Center for Elder Law & Justice, Buffalo, NY
- Legal Services NYC, Bronx
- New York State Division of Homes and Community Renewal – Tenant Protection Unit (Jamaica, NY) & Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery (Manhattan)
- NYC Department of Education, Manhattan
- U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Arlington, VA
- Volunteer Legal Services Project (VLSP), Rochester, NY
- Waterfront Commission of NY Harbor, Manhattan
- (tentative 8th site) Gangs/Organized Crime Bureau of the Division of Criminal Justice at the NJ Attorney General’s Office, Whippany, NJ
Students chosen for the internship must work full-time at the assigned host organization for eight to ten weeks during the summer.