SP1.4: Industry Funded Interdisciplinary Research
This project promoted the development of the Southern Tier High-Technology Incubator and convened an industry task force to develop recommendations to enable Binghamton University to significantly grow industry-funded research. Success will be realized through the following metrics: completion of the Incubator by 2017 with full occupancy by high-technology companies within a five year timeline; an increase in sponsored research proposals and awards across campus that contribute to Binghamton’s goal of $50M in sponsored research expenditures by 2019; an increase in faculty publications and citations resulting from industry-sponsored research; an increase in invention disclosures and royalties that contribute to Binghamton’s goal of $1.5M in annual royalties by 2020.
Goals advanced under this project are:
- Become a Nationally Recognized University for Outstanding Doctoral Education
- Increase Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities Profile to that of a Premier Public University
- Increase the Transformational Impact of the University’s Research, Scholarship, Creative Activities and Doctoral Education on Society
Indicators of success for these goals are:
- Faculty Citations
- Sponsored Program Expenditures (federal and non-federal) (RF and BUF)
- Royalty Revenue
- Number of Companies Participating in Binghamton’s Start Up NY Portfolio
- Measure of University’s Impact of University’s Research, Scholarship, Creative Activities and Doctoral Education on Society (Further discussion is required by the University community to arrive at measurable impacts
Milestones completed since last progress report:
- The Southern Tier High-Technology Incubator is in construction in downtown Binghamton and is due to open in 2017 with full occupancy by high-technology companies within a five-year timeline.
- For 2014-15, the University posted a record of 22 patents issued; 19 New Technology Disclosures; Royalties of close to $500,000
7 start up companies as of June 30, 2015 and 6 pending StartUp NY companies.
- For 2014-15, 7.8% of the University’s research expenditures were from industry.
Last Updated: 9/11/14