Advising Resources

We are located in Science 4, Room 230B. Walk-in hours are 10am to noon, and 1pm to 3pm, Monday through Thursday. For contact information or if you would like to schedule an appointment with a faculty advisor, click here. If you have questions regarding the waitlist procedures for Fall 2015, please click here.

Degree and Course Information

See the ABA Degree Requirements or Applied Behavior Analysis pages for degree requirements for a major in psychology or the ABA track.

Course descriptions are available in the Bulletin or on the BUbrain - schedule of classes. See our Course Offerings tab for information about our projected offerings for future terms.

Looking for information about graduation?  For Spring 2015 graduates: be sure to apply for your degree on BUbrain by March 27th.


Advising materials for completing the major:

Psychology, B.A.:

Click here to see a sample path of how these requirements can be fulfilled. 

Applied Behavior Analysis Track:

Declaring Your Major

If you're interested in declaring a major in Psychology or the ABA track we encourage you to do so by the end of your sophomore year. Transfer students intending to major in psychology should contact the Psychology department's academic advisor when you arrive on campus. Please note: declaring an interest in psychology on your admissions application does not mean you have declared your major; all students enter Binghamton as undeclared.

* To declare your major in Psychology you must have received a C or higher in both PSYC 111 and PSYC 243.

* To declare you major in the Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) track you must have received a C or higher in PSYC 111 and PSYC 243, and have taken or be taking PSYC 355. Please note that in order to graduate in the ABA track you must achieve a B or higher in all ABA track core courses, including PSYC 355.

If you meet these requirements and would like to declare your major in Psychology, send an email with your request to


Transferring courses to Binghamton

Use the course-to-course look-up tool to see how your credits will transfer to Binghamton. 

Common Procedures/Questions:

How can I get into closed courses?

The only way to obtain a seat in a closed course is if another student drops. For closed courses you should monitor BUbrain closely during open registration periods.

For certain courses, the option to be added to a waitlist is available. For more information regarding the waitlisting procedure, please click here

Is a course restricted? 

Be sure to check Restrictions for a course are by going onto BUBrain and clicking on the course title. At the bottom of the page, restrictions for the course will be listed.

You will need to get the permission of the instructor to enroll in courses with restrictions (e.g., locked by instructor, class standing, major, pre-req, etc.). Fill out the psychology course petition (pdf, 328kb) and have it signed by the instructor. Then return it to the advising office (Science IV, 230B). Paper copies of the form are also available in the advising office. 


How can I sign up for independent study credits?

Fill our the independent study form (pdf, 331kb) and return it to the advising office (Science IV, 230B). Paper copies of the form are also available in the advising office.

Note: It is possible to register for 2 credits of independent study after the regular add/drop deadline. Please contact the advising office at to inquire about these unique deadlines. Students who want to register for 4 credits of independent study after the add/drop deadline will have to go to the registrar's office and pay the late add fee. 

How can I get credits from another institution to count towards my major?

Review Harpur Transfer Guidelines and Policies here.  To have a course evaluated please email with the course description and syllabus. Evaluation of these requests can take up to a week or more. Students are strongly encouraged to have a course reviewed BEFORE taking courses at other institutions. There is no guarantee that courses/credits will be count for fulfilling requirements for your major. If courses are listed as transfer equivalencies here they do not have be reviewed.   


How can I get credits from a study abroad program to count towards my major?

Please send a copy of the course description and syllabus to the psychology department at Please include informatin regarding what course yo wish to fulfill with the transfer credit, as well as your B# and major. The subject line of your email should read "Course Review" so as to expedite the process.

Please be aware that evaluation of these requests can take up to a week or more. Students are strongly encouraged to have a course reviewed BEFORE taking courses abroad.  There is no guarantee that courses/credits will be count for fulfilling requirements for your major.

 What is my GPA for my major?

Use our psychology major GPA calculator (excel, 27kb) or ABA track GPA calculator (excel, 27.5kb) to find out.


What if I need to take an incomplete in a course?

You must meet with your instructor to determine if you will be permitted to receive an incomplete in a course. Incompletes are warranted when a student has a personal or medical emergency that prevents them from completing coursework. We highly encourage students and faculty to use the Incomplete Contract (docx, 17kb) to ensure that all parties know exactly what coursework remains and when it must be completed by. Copies of the contract should be provided to the instructor, the student, and the advising office (S4-230B).

Please keep a copy of any correspondence regarding special requests for course credit for your records. 

More Information

For more information about course registration, graduation/commencement, enrollment verification, and the final exam schedule, as well as access to any forms please see the Registrar’s website.
See Harpur Advising for any Gen Ed or Harpur College requirement questions.

You may access overload requests, course petitions, transfer petitions, and other Harpur forms here.

General information about transferring to Binghamton.


Like us on Facebook: Reminders, events, job opportunities, and more will be posted here.

Last Updated: 6/26/15