For the first two weeks of the spring semester we will be holding walk-in advising only. We have extended walk-in office hours during add/drop from 10:00am to noon and 12:30 to 3:30, Monday through Friday until 2/6.
Starting on Monday 2/9 we will be holding walk-in hours on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00 am to noon and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. If you need forms for course registration or Independent Study, or have a very brief question and would prefer to just drop in, please do! Walk-in questions can be answered from 10am-noon and 1pm-3pm.
Starting on Tuesday 2/10 advising appointments are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to noon and 1pm to 3pm. Appointment times are designated to be 15 minutes long. If you have questions about requirements for the major, course planning, study abroad, transfer credits, or reading your DARS/Degree Works, follow the directions below to schedule an appointment time that is convenient for you. Remember, you can declare your major over email (email@example.com), if you meet the requirements detailed below.
Steps to schedule an appointment on hireBING
1. Click Here to sign into hireBING. On this page follow the directions to create an account for new users or sign into your account if you have previously created one.
2. Hover over the calendar tab and choose "Counseling Appointment". Then choose "Request New Appointment".
3. Below are the three types of appointments to choose from. Once you have chosen please select "Check Availability" at the bottom. Dr. Luka's available appointments will then be listed for you to choose the best date and time for you. To schedule the appointment you must click on "Dr. Barbara Luka" that corresponds with your desired appointment date and time.
- PSYC/IN/ABA Degree Planning
- PSYC/IN/ABA Course Selection and Registration
- PSYC/IN/ABA Career Planning
4. Lastly, A window will pop-up with the date and time for your advising appointment, as well as a comment box where you can choose to enter information regarding your appointment. Click "submit request" to finalize your appointment. You will then receive an email confirmation to your b-mail account.
Undergraduate Academic Advisor: Dr. Luka
Psychology Advising Office: Science IV, 230B
Degree and Course Information
Looking for information about graduation? For Spring 2015 graduates: be sure to apply for your degree on BUbrain by
Advising materials for completing the major:
- Psychology Major Degree Requirements (pdf, 481kb)
- Psychology Planning Guide (pdf, 155kb)
- Psychology Electives (pdf, 16.8kb)
- Math/Science Electives (pdf, 447kb)
Declaring Your Major
If you're interested in declaring a major in Psychology or the ABA track we encourage you to do so by the end of your sophomore year. Transfer students intending to major in psychology should contact the Psychology department's academic advisor when you arrive on campus. Please note: declaring an interest in psychology on your admissions application does not mean you have declared your major; all students enter Binghamton as undeclared.
* To declare your major in Psychology you must have received a C or higher in both PSYC 111 and PSYC 243.
* To declare you major in the Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) track you must have received a C or higher in PSYC 111 and PSYC 243, and have taken or be taking PSYC 355. Please note that in order to graduate in the ABA track you must achieve a B or higher in all ABA track core courses, including PSYC 355.
If you meet these requirements and would like to declare your major in Psychology, send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transferring courses to Binghamton
Use the course-to-course look-up tool to see how your credits will transfer to Binghamton.
Use the reverse look-up function to find course equivalencies at other institutions.
How can I get into closed courses?
The only way to obtain a seat in a closed course is if another student drops. For closed courses you should monitor BUbrain closely during open registration periods.
How can I get into restricted courses?
You will need to get the permission of the instructor to enroll in courses with restrictions (e.g., locked by instructor, class standing, major, pre-req, etc.). Fill out the psychology course petition (pdf, 328kb) and have it signed by the instructor. Then return it to the advising office (Science IV, 230B). Paper copies of the form are also available in the advising office.
How can I sign up for independent study credits?
Fill our the independent study form (pdf, 331kb) and return it to the advising office (Science IV, 230B). Paper copies of the form are also available in the advising office.
How can I get credits from another institution to count towards my major?
How can I get credits from a study abroad program to count towards my major?
Submit a completed study abroad petition form (pdf, 35.5kb) with a detailed course description of syllabus to the advising office (Science IV, 230B). Paper copies of the form are also available in the advising office. Evaluation of these requests can take up to a week or more. Students are strongly encouraged to have a course reviewed BEFORE taking courses abroad. There is no guarantee that courses/credits will be count for fulfilling requirements for your major.
What is my GPA for my major?
What if I need to take an incomplete in a course?
You must meet with your instructor to determine if you will be permitted to receive an incomplete in a course. Incompletes are warranted when a student has a personal or medical emergency that prevents them from completing coursework. We highly encourage students and faculty to use the Incomplete Contract (docx, 17kb) to ensure that all parties know exactly what coursework remains and when it must be completed by. Copies of the contract should be provided to the instructor, the student, and the advising office (S4-230B).
You may access overload requests, course petitions, transfer petitions, and other Harpur forms here.
General information about transferring to Binghamton.