“The skills and experiences I gained during my time in the program are proving invaluable here at the Ohio Department of Health. Not a day goes by that I don't utilize some aspect of what I gained at BU!”Jeffrey Wynnyk, Fall 2009 Graduate
Training and Family Support Supervisor
Ohio Department of Health | Bureau of Early Intervention Services
The MPA Program is a 42 credit hour program, comprised of:
- a core of seven courses (25 credits) where students are introduced to the knowledge and skills they need for professional public service
- 12 credits of electives
- 2 credit internship to practice application of learning
- 3 credit culminating experience course to demonstrate competencies.
It typically takes full-time students 2 years to complete our MPA Program.
1. PAFF 510 - Research Design & Methods (4 credits)
2. PAFF 521 - Foundations of Public Service (4 credits)
3. PAFF 520 - 21st Century Governance (4 credits)
4. PAFF 527 - Budgeting & Financial Management (4 credits)
5. Evidence-Based Decision Making (4 credits): Students can fulfill this requirement with one of several courses including Policy Analysis, Program Evaluation, Survey Research, and Performance Analysis.
6. Managing People in Organizations (3 credits): Students can fulfill this requirement with one of several courses including Human Resource Management, Organization Theory, Project Management, and Managing Networks.
7. PAFF 526 - Managing Information and Technology (2 credits):
SPECIALIZATION OR ELECTIVES
Three specializations are available within the Department of Public Administration:
- Nonprofit Management & Leadership
- Local Government Management & Leadership
- Sustainable Communities
The Department also has relations with the School of Nursing for students interested in Health Policy Administration, and with the Department of Geography for students interested in Environmental Policy. Dual degree students complete specialization/elective courses in the discipline of their other degree. Additionally, students are offered the opportunity to choose elective courses suited to their specialized academic interests from various other graduate academic departments.
APPLICATION OF LEARNING
PAFF 594 - Internship (2 credits)
CULMINATING EXPERIENCES/DEMONSTRATION OF COMPETENCIES
PAFF 595 - ePortfolio (3 credits)