Scholarship Information for CCPA Students

Scholarships are awards, usually modest in amount, for fall tuition expenses. Varying criteria accompany the scholarships. Some are need-based and require filing by the student of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. It is desirable that FAFSA forms be filed by March 1. Some scholarships require submitting a specific application. For more information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Employment. For information on FAFSA forms, see

Change Maker Scholarship

Are you a leader who wants to make change? Compete for the lucrative Change Maker Scholarship and pursue your Master of Public Administration Degree at Binghamton University's highly ranked program.

The Change Maker Scholarship is an annual merit-based award for beginning, full-time students with outstanding leadership abilities who aspire to create positive change through a management career in the public or nonprofit sector. Depending upon applicant qualifications, students may receive up to a full tuition scholarship and stipend.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be a new applicant to the MPA Program at Binghamton University
  • Have a minimum undergraduate G.P.A. of 3.5
  • Have a strong background in public service and leadership (which can include volunteer experience)
  • If awarded, maintain full-time enrollment in the MPA program

To Apply:

  • Submit an application to Binghamton University's MPA program and within the required Personal Statement, entitled "Changemaker" include details on relevant leadership experience in professional positions, internships, community-service or campus-based activities, and/or student government.
  • Individuals of color are particularly encouraged to apply.

  • Applications must be received by January 15.

  • Questions about the Change Maker Scholarship program should be directed to Brianna King,, 607-777-2719.

CCPA Graduate Student Scholarships

University-Wide Scholarships

Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund

American Association of University Women - Career Development Grants

Organization of American States:

The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship:

The Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Program:

The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation:

Professional Engineers in Government (PEG) Management Study Fellowship

The George Nofer Scholarship for Law and Public Policy

Who can file a FAFSA form?

Only U.S. Citizens or any eligible non-citizen can file a FAFSA.

Eligible to file a FAFSA:

  • U.S. citizen
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)
  • Person with Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from INS showing
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole
    • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending

Not eligible to file a FAFSA:

  • Anyone in the U.S. on:
    • F1 or F2 student visa
    • J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa
    • G series visa

Scholarship applications, where required, must be submitted by April 15 to the CCPA Scholarship Committee, College of Community and Public Affairs, PO Box 6000, Binghamton, NY 13902-6000. They may also be delivered to the CCPA Dean's Office, UDC-333, or submitted electronically to the Scholarship Committee. For more information, call the CCPA Dean's Office, 607-777-5572.

Clark Fellowship

The Clifford D. Clark Graduate Fellowship Program for Diversity is named for a former president of the University (1975-1990), and funded by the State University of New York and a small endowment. Clark Fellowships are merit-based and designed to recruit and support students who have been admitted to graduate study and contribute to the diversity of the student body in the graduate program in which enrollment is sought. The funding package includes academic year stipends, full tuition scholarships, health insurance, guaranteed award periods, research and travel opportunities and other benefits.

Other Opportunities

More funding opportunities are available through the Graduate School website, including the Graduate Tuition Opportunity Program (GTOP), available to former EOP (Educational Opportunity Program), HEOP (Higher Educational Opportunity Program) and SEEK (Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge) graduates.

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is a federal program that provides student loan repayment assistance for individuals who work in the public or nonprofit sector for ten years.

Individuals must make 120 qualified payments while employed full-time in the public or nonprofit sector, after which time the federal government will forgive the balance of the loan (as of January 2015, there is a proposed cap of $57,500).

For more information:


Last Updated: 4/4/17