Benefits of Living On-Campus
Our residence halls are far more than a place to sleep. We firmly believe that a student’s living experience can have a positive impact on their academic success and overall college experience. Studies indicate that students who live on campus:
- participate in more extracurricular activities
- report more positive perceptions of the campus social climate
- tend to be more satisfied with their college experience
- report more personal growth and development
- engage in more frequent interactions with peers and faculty members (Blimling, 1993, as cited in Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005)
Aside from these developmental benefits, students who live on campus experience the following advantages:
- Conveniently Accessible: walk or shuttle ride to classes, libraries, computer labs, activities, events, recreational centers, study groups, professors and other student resources.
- Access: to dedicated and knowledgeable residential staff and faculty
- Exciting Experiences: through educational programs offered in the residence halls
- Opportunities: to engage with the community through participation in residence hall student government or leadership positions
- 24/7 Security: buildings are card-access and University Police are readily accessible
- Leadership Opportunities: hall/area government, Residential Assistants, Student association, and many other opportunities around campus.
- Friendships: countless opportunities to meet new people and develop lasting friendships through various social, educational and recreational events. There will always be someone around to hang out with.
- Diverse Cultural Experience: students participate in educational, cultural, recreational and social activities to enhance their college experience.
- Independence: students gain a sense of independence as they live on their own for the first time while learning to live and interact with their peers.
- Natural Beauty: residents have ready access to the 190-acre Nature Preserve
- No worries about paying monthly rent, bills, etc.
- No commuting hassles!