Before Moving In

  • Can you tell me about the on campus housing process?
    • Students must first be accepted to Binghamton.
    • Once accepted, then you and your student can apply for on campus housing.
    • As part of the sign-up process, your student must “accept” the University Housing License.

  • When will rooms assignments and roommates be known?
    • Students will find out which community they have been assigned to in July.  Roommate information will be emailed in August.

  • What should students bring for the residence hall room?
    • For a guide to moving in and what to bring, please click here.

  • What happens on Move In Day at Check In?
    • When you drive onto campus you and your student will be directed to the “staging” area by the Events Center.  Please be sure to have the parking tag that was mailed to you over the summer.  This will help University Police direct you to the correct parking lot.
    • Welcome Back Crew members will be there to help you and your student transport belongings from the car to the residence hall. 
    • Your student must have their Binghamton student issued ID card.  Without their card, Residential Life cannot grant them access to the building. If a student has misplaced their card, a temporary access card will be provided until the student can get a new ID card issued.
    • Once you and your student have checked in, the next step is meeting your RA and filling out a Room Condition Report. This is your student’s opportunity to thoroughly inventory their room and furnishings. It is extremely important that they are VERY DETAILED on this report because any alterations, changes, and/or damages to the room found after the original inventory is signed may be billable to the resident's University account.  This form becomes the base-line upon which all damage billing is based.
    • Once the Room Condition Report is completed, you and your student can begin moving everything in.
    • That day and throughout the weekend Residential Life staff and the Welcome Back Crew will be hosting meetings and activities to help the students acclimate to the campus and get to know one another.

return to top

After They've Moved In

  •   Can room assignments be changed?
    • Residential Life recognizes that occasionally residents are matched with roommates with whom they do not feel compatible. If this occurs, your student may request a room change through their area housing office after an initial waiting period at the beginning of each semester. The ability to change a room is dependent upon available vacancies.

  • What if students get locked out of their room?
    • Locked out students need to find a Residential Life staff member to key them into their room. However, if they lose the key, the student will be billed for the lock change and replacement keys.

  • Where can my student do their laundry?
    • Each residence hall has a 24 hour laundry facility.

  • When does my student need to leave the residence hall for break?
    • If your student lives in the Apartment Community (Hillside or Susquehanna) or in a break housing hall (Delaware, Mohawk, and Windham) then they do not have to leave during break periods.
    • If your student does not live in the apartments or one of our break housing halls, they must vacate during the following breaks:
      • Thanksgiving Break
        • Residence halls close at 2 p.m. the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
      • Winter Break
        • All residents should be out of their building 24 hours after their last final.  All students must leave by 11a.m. on December 20, 2014. Residents may return to their rooms on January 22, 2015. Students will not have access to the building during the break, so encourage them to bring important items including medications, identification, etc.
      • Spring Break
        • Halls close at 2 p.m. Friday, April 3, 2015. Halls will re-open at 2 p.m. on Sunday, April 12, 2015.
      • Summer Break
        • All non-graduating residents should be out of their building 24 hours after their last final.  Graduating residents must check out of their building by 11a.m., Saturday, May 16, 2015.
    • Academic calendar

  • What do I need to know about moving out in May?
    • Your student must completely vacate and check out of their room by the specified time. If a student is staying on campus for summer school, they will be directed where to move.

return to top

Meal Plans

  • Who is the food service provider?
    • Binghamton’s current food service provider is Sodexo

  • Can we change the meal plan we have chosen for our student?
    • Yes, your student can go to the Meal Plan office in University Union Room 116 Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

return to top

Parking and Transportation

  • Can students park their vehicle on campus?
    • Freshmen (fewer than 24 credits completed at Binghamton University) residing in University residence halls are not permitted to register or park a vehicle on campus. This includes the parking garage, visitors paid parking and parking meters. Freshmen who reside off campus may register a vehicle on campus and purchase a parking permit. Requests for exceptions to this policy are to be directed to the Deputy Chief of Police/Parking Services.
    • Resident freshmen who park a car on campus without permission from Parking Services and upper-classmen who purchase a parking permit for a resident freshman (or attempt to do so) will be fined and/or face campus conduct action.
  • Can I park on campus while visiting my student?
    • If you’re visiting the campus Monday through Friday (including holidays) you may purchase a visitor parking permit or park at the parking garage, visitors’ paid lot or at a parking meter. If your visit brings you to campus anytime from 5 p.m. Friday until midnight Sunday, parking is free.
  • How does my student get around without a vehicle?
    • There are a variety of transportation methods for residents
    • First, they can always walk or bike to class or to the other side of campus.
    • Second, there is a free campus shuttle that goes to all residential communities as well as the east and west gym.
    • Third, Binghamton students have fee access to the city buses.
    • Fourth, Binghamton University has implemented the Connect by Hertz program. This allows students (18 and older) to rent a car by-the-hour or by-the-day at low prices.  And the cars are located right on campus!

return to top


  • What are the biggest academic adjustments during the freshman year?
    • Learning to discipline oneself and manage time are critical adjustments. Though college classes may meet only every other day, or once a week, the workload is still challenging. It is suggested that the student spend two hours of studying for every one hour in class, balanced with study breaks. Luckily, there are a wide variety of campus departments, tutors, and mentors who can help your student make those adjustments.
  • How can a student get help if they’re struggling with academics or a certain class?
    • If a student is struggling in a class, they should first schedule an office meeting with the professor. They can discuss challenges, note-taking and test-preparation methods, and tutoring possibilities. Your student may also want to meet with the Faculty Master assigned to their residential college/community.  Their offices are located in the area housing office.  They can help students find resources on campus, discuss majors, etc.  In addition, other resources are available such as the Writing Center or the Discovery Program

return to top

Last Updated: 4/7/15