Advanced Certificate in
Social Work in Health Care

Social Work in Health Care

The online Social Work in Health Care advanced certificate program is a five-course sequence that prepares social work graduate students and licensed social workers for opportunities across the continuum of settings in the United States health care system. 

Binghamton University received a 2014-2015 High Needs Award through the State University of New York (SUNY) High Needs Program -- a competitive grant program that funds academic initiatives that connect directly to specific New York State workforce needs -- to develop the Social Work in Health Care program. Learn more by exploring the Social Work in Health Care program brochure

Licensed social workers are eligible to receive continuing education contact hours for the successful completion of the courses in the Social Work in Health Care program. For more information about continuing education, visit the Continuing Education section of our website. 

Please contact John Vassello, Associate Director of Field Education and Admissions, at, with questions about continuing education. 

Applying to the Social Work in Health Care Program

This advanced certificate program is open to current MSW students at Binghamton University and other CSWE-accredited institutions and to social workers who have already earned an MSW from a CSWE-accredited institution, an LMSW, or an LCSW. Students and social workers who are interested in this program should complete the interest form before submitting an application.

  • Application Deadline: Rolling 

Current Binghamton University MSW students should explore the curriculum map to learn how the program requirements will fit into their schedules. 

Enrolling in the Social Work in Health Care Program 

Applicants who are current Binghamton University MSW students must submit the add-on certificate application form in order to officially add the advanced certificate program to their student records. Visit the Graduate School website for instructions for submitting the form. 

Applicants who are not current Binghamton University MSW students must enroll at Binghamton University by completing the stand-alone certificate application. For more information, visit the Graduate School website.  

Last Updated: 9/7/16